On each profile in the FamilySearch Family Tree there is a box with links to FamilySearch, Ancestry, Findmypast and MyHeritage:
I wanted to see how this feature works, so I am going to use one of my tree persons, John Nicholas Brocke (1855-1938) (FSID L416-YCP) to see what records are found by each website.
I reviewed the search results on the other sites in:
* FamilySearch Introduces Searching on Largest Genealogy Websites - Post 1: FamilySearch Matches(30 September 2015)* FamilySearch Introduces Searching on Largest Genealogy Websites - Post 2: Searching on Ancestry.com (1 October 2015)
* FamilySearch Introduces Searching on Largest Genealogy Websites - Post 3: Searching on Findmypast.com (2 October 2015)
There are 17,305 matches on this list. I didn't look at all of them.
The search form had these search field entries:
* First and middle name = John Nicholas (match similar names, varying on spelling and matching initials)
* Last name = Brocke (match similar names, Daitch-Mokotoff Soundex, Metaphone 3, and Refined Soundex)
* Birth = 1855 (Match flexibly, rank by date closeness)
* Death = 1938 (Match flexibly, rank by date closeness)
2) The search results that applied to John Nicholas Brocke (1855-1938), as discerned by me, are:
#1: MyHeritage family tree (for Nicholas Brocke)
#2: MyHeritage family tree (for Nicholas Brocke Sr.)
#3: FamilySearch Family Tree (for John Nicholas Brocke)
#4: 1900 U.S. Census (for Nicholas Brocke)
#5: 1870 U.S. Census (for J. Nickolas Brocke)
#6. MyHeritage family tree (for Nicolas Brocke)
#7: FamilySearch Family Tree (for Nicholas John Brocke)
#9: 1920 U.S. Census (for Nickolas Brocke)
#12: 1930 U.S. Census (for Nicholas Brocke)
#488: Washington Death Certificate (Nicholas Brocke father of Joseph Adolph Brocke)
#492: Montana County Marriages (Nicholas Brocke father of Joseph A. Brocke)
#503: Idaho Death Certificates (Nicholas Brocke husband of Anna Brocke)
#567: Genealogy Today (Nick Brocke, in IOOF data)
#568, #569: Idaho, Births and Christenings (Nicolas Brocke, father of Joseph Brocke)
#571: Idaho, Births and Christenings (Nicolao Brocke, father of Charles Joseph Brocke)
#572, #575: Idaho, Births and Christenings (Nicolao Brocke, father of Nicholas Frances Brocke)
#577: Idaho, Births and Christenings (Nicolao Brocke, father of Charles Joseph Brocke)
#578: Washington Death Certificates (Nick Brocke, father of John I. Brocke)
Note: I stopped looking after match #600.
As you can see, the search found 4 census records for John Nicholas Brocke, at least 5 other family tree records, and another 11 records where he was not the principal person.
This search did not find a birth record, a baptism record, a marriage record, a death record, a burial record, a 1910 U.S. Census record, or an 1880 U.S. Census record for Nicholas Brocke.
Obviously, any search depends on the information put into the search fields and the name variations used in the search algorithms, and the available record collections on the website. There may be other records for this person on MyHeritage that have different name spellings, different birth information, etc.
FamilySearch used first and last name variants, and searched for a birth date and a death date, but not a birth or death place, on MyHeritage.com. This was comparable to the FamilySearch and Ancestry.com searches.
Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Or contact me by email at email@example.com.