My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* Standing in Judgment of Our Ancestors by Lisa Louise Cooke on the Lisa Louise Cooke's Genealogy Gems blog. Lisa answers a reader's question about an ancestor's prejudice.
* Genealogy Tip: Using Directories to Find Your Female Ancestor by Gena Philibert Ortega on the GenealogyBank Blog. Gena has helpful suggestions here.
* 5 Ways to Jumpstart Your Genealogy When It Has Stalled by Lorine McGinnis Schulze on the Olive Tree Genealogy Blog. More helpful suggestions.
* Civil War Pension Record For William Lunsford ~ How I began my review and some of what I found by Diane Gould Hall on the Michigan Family Trails blog. Diane describes her discovery process in this pension file.
* Jim Ericson and FamilySearch Indexing (Part 1) – #BYUFHGC and (Part 2) by the writer of The Ancestry Insider blog. Mr. AI continues his review of BYU Conference presentations.
* Voting Records and Your Ancestors by Melissa Barker on A Genealogist in the Archives blog. Melissa reviews what you might find in voting records.
* 8 Weeks to Better Rhode Island Genealogy Research – Week 7 – Military and Pensions by Diane Boumenot on the One Rhode Island Family blog. Diane lists these Rhode Island resources by military campaign.
* 100 Genealogy Quotes by Melissa on Jessica and Gracie's Tree blog. Nice collection here!
* Who Should You Include in Your Family Tree? by Amy Johnson Crow on the Amy Johnson Crow blog. I totally agree with Amy here.
* Tip: Finding a Newspaper Article That Is Not Online by Dana Leeds on The Enthusiastic Genealogist blog. Dana suggests using Chronicling american to find repositories of a specific newspaper.
* Finding Clues and Connections in Old Family Letters by Denise Levenick on The Family Curator blog. Yep.
* How to Find the Maiden Names of Women in Your Family Tree by Alexandra Edmondson on the Findmypast Blog. Alexandra provides very helpful tips.
Here are pick posts by other geneabloggers this week:
* Favorite Reads of the Week: 21 August 2016 by Nicole Dyer on the Family Locket blog.
* Friday Fossicking 26th August, 2016 by Crissouli on That Moment in Time blog.
* Recommended Reads by Linda Stufflebean on the Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog.
* Friday Favorites for August 26, 2016 by Heather Kuhn Roelker on the Leaves for Trees blog.
* Follow Friday - Seven Days of Genealogy Blogs by Melissa on Jessica and Gracie's Tree blog.
* Friday Finds 26 August 2016 by Nichelle Barra on the Copper Leaf Genealogy blog.
* This Week's Creme de la Creme -- August 27, 2016 by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog.
* Saturday Serendipity (August 27, 2016) by John D. Tew on the Filiopietism Prism blog.
* Weekly Genealogy Picks and Calendar by John Newmark on the TransylvanianDutch blog.
* Favorite Reads of the Week: 26 August 2016 by Nicole Dyer on the Family Locket blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1590 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is:
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at email@example.com.