Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):
1) Go into your Genealogy Management Program (GMP; either software on your computer, or an online family tree) and figure out how to Count how many surnames you have in your family tree database.
2) Tell us which GMP you're using and how you did this task.
3) Tell us how many surnames are in your database and, if possible, which Surname has the most entries. If this excites you, tell us which surnames are in the top 5! Or 10!! Or 20!!!
4) Write about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, in a status or comment on Facebook, or in Google Plus Stream post.
NOTE: If you can't figure out how to do this in your GMP (Genealogy Management Program), use the Help button in your program and search for "count surnames" then follow directions.
I'm going to use RootsMagic 7 because that's where I'm doing my current additions, deletions and editing and is my most up-to-date collection. In RootsMagic 7, go to Reports, then Lists and scroll down to "Surname Statistics List." I then chose "Frequency of Surnames" from the list presented.
That took about 30 seconds and I have a 163 page list! I didn't count every one of them - there are 163 pages with 39 names per page. That's a grand total of about 6,350 surnames in my database with 46,707 persons. The top 25 are, with birth date ranges:
* SEAVER - 5,086 persons, from 1608 to 2015
* BUCK - 759 persons, from 1577 to 1997
* SMITH - 714 persons, from 1526 to 2014
* VAUX - 490 persons, from 1620 to 2013
* SEVER - 447 persons, from 1673 to 2014
* NEWTON - 325 persons, from 1600 to 2008
* RICHMAN - 298 persons, from 1598 to 1985
* BRESEE - 255 persons, from 1650 to 1900
* BROWN - 240 persons, from 1580 to 2000
* CARRINGER - 212 persons, from 1758 to 2015
* McKNEW - 205 persons, from 1640 to 2007
* CLARK - 190 persons, from 1561 to 2008
NOTE: We've done this before, but I'm out of town and needed a quick post. See http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/09/saturday-night-genealogy-fun-how-many.html (on 26 September 2015) for the last time we did this for SNGF. My list has changed a little since I added 1,677 persons since then, including 38 AUBLE persons.