My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* Genealogy Changed Dramatically in 2016, I Can Prove It by Kerry Scott on the Clue Wagon blog. An excellent observation by Kerry!
* I Was Wrong, Wrong, Utterly Wrong! by John Grenham on the Irish Roots blog. John confesses, but the real good news is that the Irish Principal Will Registers are FREE to access on Findmypast.
* Genealogy 101: #6 Alternatives to Death Certificates by Gena Philibert-Ortega on the GenealogyBank Blog. Gena provides examples of alternatives.
* Genealogy Research Trip Produced Amazing Family History Find by Amie Bowser Tennant of Lisa Louise Cooke's Genealogy Gems blog. Amie describes her first research trip and one of her more recent trips.
* Orphan Photo Lost and Found: The Little Prince Has a Family by Maureen Taylor on the Maureen Taylor blog. An interesting story, and proof that blogging works (eventually!).
* How to Avoid Awkward Family Photos by Denise Levenick on The Family Curator blog. Funny examples, excellent tips.
* Family History Blogging: What is Your Why? by Lynn Palermo on The Armchair Genealogist blog. Lynn asks the question and analyzes some of the possible responses.
* John Iron Moccasin, The Story of a Sioux Man by Roberta J. Estes on the DNAeXplained - Genetic Genealogy blog. Roberta's treatise is magnificent, both for genealogical and genetic content.
* Hooking Teens on Research With Land Patents by Karen Walters on Diana Elder's Family Locket blog. This is a wonderful story and excellent tutorial too.
Here are pick posts by other geneabloggers this week:
* GAGs - GeniAus' Gems - 9 December 2016 by Jill Ball on the GeniAus blog.
* Recommended Reads by Linda Stufflebean on the Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog.
* Friday Finds 9 Dec 2016 by Nichelle Barra on the Copper Leaf Genealogy blog.
* Follow Friday ~ Fab Finds for December 9, 2016 by Jana Last on Jana's Genealogy and Family History Blog.
* Favorite Reads of the Week: 10 December 2016 by Nicole Dyer on the Family Locket blog.
* This Week's Creme de la Creme -- December 10, 2016 by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1600 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2016/12/best-of-genea-blogs-4-to-10-december.html
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.