Today's newspaper article is from The Chronicle Telegram [Elyria, Ohio] newspaper dated 11 July 1952, courtesy of Ancestry.com:
The transcription of this article is:
MRS. ESTELLE SEAVER
Mrs. Estelle Kitchen Seaver, nee Hyer, wife of A.M. Seaver, 201 Mary avenue, New Smyrna, Fla., died at her home there yesterday after a short illness.
Mrs. Seaver was born in Lonia Co., Michigan and formerly lived on Adelbert street here. She and Mr. Seaver had lived in Florida for ten years and she was a member of the First Methodist church in New Smyrna.
Surviving are a daughter Mrs. Elizabeth Kitchen Gardner of Daytona Beach, Fla., and a sister Mrs. James Harlan of Rocky River.
The body will arrive Monday and friends may call Monday evening from 7 to 9 at the Harold Dicken Funeral Home. Services will be held Tuesday at 2 p.m. from the funeral home with Dr. James H. Sivard officiating. Interment will be in Ridge Mill Memorial Park cemetery.The source citation for the article is:
"MRS. ESTELLE SEAVER," The Chronicle Telegram [Elyria, Ohio], 11 July 1952, page 2, column 5, obituary; indexed database and digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 16 March 2017).
I wanted to find out who this person is. The obituary doesn't provide a birth date, but it does provide a maiden surname (Hyer), the name of her husband (A.M. Seaver), a daughter's name (Elizabeth Kitchen Gardner) and a sister's name (Mrs. James Harlan). The death occurred in New Smyrna, Florida, but this is an Ohio newspaper, and the services and interment are in the Elyria area, so it is likely that she had family in the Elyria area.
A check of the census records on Ancestry did not show an Estelle Seaver married to an "A*****" Seaver, so a more extensive search for "Estelle Seaver" was taken. That resulted in a U.S. City Directory entry for Estella Seaver in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, married to an Allyn M. Seaver in 1947, residing at 301 Mary Ave. That is certainly her. Ancestry had some suggested records for her, including:
* A Florida Death Index record for Estella Blanche Seaver in 1952 in Volusia County.
* A Social Security Applications and Claims Index record for Estella Blanche Seaver, with birth date of 7 March 1879 in Michigan, and death date of 10 July 1952.
* A Massachusetts Marriage Index record for Estella Blanche Kitchen and Allyn Marcellus Seaver on 21 July 1943 in Charlton, Mass.
* A 1940 U.S. Census record for Estella B. Kitchen, age 61, residing in Elyria, Lorain, Ohio on Adelbert Street, with husband Jerry M. Kitchen.
* A 1930 U.S. Census record for Stella B. Kitchen, age 53, residing in Elyria, Lorain, Ohio on Adelbert Avenue, with husband Jerry Kitchen and daughter Elizabeth Kitchen.
* A 1920 U.S. Census record for Estella Kitchen, age 38, residing in Elyria, Lorain, Ohio on Adelbert Avenue, with husband Jerry Kitchen and daughter Elizabeth Kitchen.
* A Michigan Marriage Record for Estella B. Hier (age 22, daughter of Charles O Hiar and Maggie Luscher) and Jerry Kitchen, dated 26 Dec 1900 in Sebewa, Ionia, Michigan.
* A 1900 U.S. Census record for Estella B. Hier, age 21,born in Michigan, residing in Portland, Ionia, Michigan, a servant.
* An 1880 U.S. Census record for Estella B. Hier, age 1, born in Michigan, residing in Sebewa, Ionia, Michigan with her parents and siblings.
In less than one hour, I have identified this person, know her birth date, her parents names, her two spouses names, her two marriage dates and places, her daughter's name and birth year, and her death date and place. Of course, if this were my ancestor, I would obtain the vital records from the state offices.
I have Allyn Marcellus Seaver (1871-1957) in my RootsMagic database, along with his first two wives. I did not have Estella (Blanche) (Hier) (Kitchen) Seaver (1879-1952) as his third wife. So I will add this information to my database for Allyn's third wife, with the appropriate source citations.
This was genealogy fun for me today. I love the hunt for information, and turning the subject of this obituary into a person who is in the extended and extensive Seaver family.
Am I related to Allyn Marcellus Seaver? Maybe. He is a great-grandson of John Seaver (1778-1841) and Susanna Trumbull (1783-1840) of Monson, Massachusetts. I don't know who John Seaver's parents are, but I think that he may be a descendant of my 6th great-grandparents Robert Seaver (1702-1752) and Eunice Rayment (1707-1772).