Friday, August 7, 2009

Day 5 at Grandpa Camp - Winding Down

The last full day of Grandpa Camp was pretty good - I asked Lucas what he wanted to do today - and gave him choices of the Fleet Science Museum and Theater, the Aerospace Museum, the Children's Museum in downtown San Diego. He wanted to go back to the Zoo. So we did, and had a great time.

We were there shortly after 9 a.m. (but that was after throwing the baseball around and counting the 911 call boxes all the way there), and it was nice and cool - about 70F when we got there and about 75F when we left at noon. We walked down the Tiger Trail and saw the cubs sleeping in their den, then past the empty hippo pool (apparently they are late swimmers), then saw the 2-year-old Panda, scrunched two more pennies in the machine that takes 51 cents for each one, up the moving sidewalk to the top of the mesa, across on the Skyride to the entrance, and a snack in the shade. He wanted to take the 30 minute bus tour, so we sat up top in the sun and he fell asleep about halfway through the tour. Refreshed, he insisted on riding on my shoulders to the exit and out to the car.

We were home by 12:30, had some lunch, and watched a movie (The Even Stevens?) on the Disney Channel which he thought was funny - I did too, for different reasons. Great parody! Linda came home and they decided not to go swimming, so while Linda napped, I played catch with Lucas and then actually won a soccer game. I'm so proud of myself - brute force and chicanery can win out over skill and energy once in awhile! Of course, I was exhausted by then and so we played Uno for awhile, and when Linda got up, I had an hour on the computer to work on the CVGS newsletter due to the printer on Sunday.

Linda fixed dinner, we ate out on the cool patio - a nice breeze in the shade - and then we flew the model airplane out in front and had another round of catch in back. Finally, at 7 p.m., we came in to watch the Padres game.

Lucas had his snack, watched a video, and had his bath, then we did his hair and teeth, and he was in bed at 9 p.m. And asleep by 9:15 p.m., very peaceful tonight! Cool - I went back to the Padres game and watched them come from behind 6-2 with a walkoff grand slam in the 9th.

Then this post, and I'm done for the night.

Did anything great happen in genealogy today? I read the blogs and saw nothing fantastic. I even tried the 1930 census on Footnote and couldn't get on. Ancestry has added no new American content for weeks, it seems. My correction to the 1870 census still hasn't showed up in the Ancestry indexes (it's been a week now), and the Chula Vista Genealogy Cafe blog is still held hostage by an unseen Blogger monster. Oh well!

Tomorrow will be hectic with Lucas to the airport until 11 a.m., the SDGS meeting, and the Padres game in the evening. SNGF? Sure...hold your horses, I gotta think of something fun to do.

No comments: