Monday, June 3, 2019

My Day Three at Genealogy Jamboree 2019

We made it home last night at 8:10 p.m. after stopping for three-plus hours in Huntington Beach to see daughter Tami and her family.  We even took some photos, and then my phone battery ran out.

Day Three at Jamboree for me included these highlights:

*  We had our usual breakfast at 7:30 a.m. down in the lobby media area, and then up to the room to pack the suitcases.  I read blog posts and updated the Best Of post, and noted that Added and Updated Record Collections - Week of 26 May to 1 June 2019 posted.

*  I went to Bruce Buzbee's class at 8:30 a.m. on RootsMagic and even learned a few new tricks.  He did use the last five minutes to show some screens of RootsMagic 8, and I know at least one person got a photo of it (not me!).

*  At 9:30 a.m. I headed over to the Exhibit Hall and tried to take photos, and posed with Daniel Horowitz of MyHeritage for a selfie.

I hustled back to the hotel area to see Michael Strauss's talk on "Influenza: America's Deadliest Epidemic."

*  At 11 a.m., I went up to the room, checked all of the hiding places, and brought the suitcases and the laptop down to the lobby, then put them in the car, and checked out of the hotel.

*  It was lunch time, and Linda didn't want to eat there, so we found the Burbank In 'n' Out and had lunch, and were back to the conference by 12:45 p.m.

*  I spent the next hour roaming the exhibit hall, saying goodbye to folks, and checking the prize board (I didn't win anything again).  I took a few more photos which I will put in the later blog post.

*  We left at 1:50 p.m. for Huntington Beach via I-5, I-605, and I-405, and got there by 3:15.  Everyone was home and we took some photos while talking to the grandkids and watching the softball college world series (Tami played softball, and binge watches these tournaments).  I enjoy watching softball more than baseball because it's faster, the players are more enthusiastic, and the intensity level is higher.  Tami gave me a beautiful shirt for Father's Day plus candy and cookies (I shared with the kids).

*  We all went to dinner at Marie Callenders, went back to the house, and said our goodbyes.  I'm going to try to see them more often - it's been two months and it needs to be every month or less.

*  We were on the road by 6:45 p.m. and got home by 8:10 p.m. - 102 miles in 85 minutes - no stopping or traffic door to door (except for traffic lights at both ends).

I attended two out of four class sessions today, so that makes me 7 out of 16.  Not bad, and about my average most years.  I will watch some of the livestreamed classes in later days and weeks too.

Someone told me on Sunday that there would be no Jamboree in 2020 but it would be revamped for 2021. 

So our 12th consecutive Jamboree is over and I'm not sure when we will go again with Linda's problems getting more severe.  It will have to be year-to-year.  I love seeing the friends and colleagues, but we don't really socialize that much, and this year Linda spent most of the time in the hotel room because it was too cool and gloomy outside to swim in the pool.


The URL for this post is:

Copyright (c) 2019, Randall J. Seaver

Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post.  Share it on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest using the icons below.  Or contact me by email at

No comments: