One of the possible uses of any online family tree system is that it be searchable for potential common ancestors submitted by the registered users of the website. A successful search may result in communication and collaboration between researchers to the (hopefully) mutual benefit of all involved.
In WikiTree, which has just over one million profiles, I have found no direct matches with any of my 2,900-plus profiles. That doesn't surprise me too much, seeing as how I didn't include any person past ten generations of my ancestry, and did not include spouses of the siblings of my ancestors. However, I have many lines that extend beyond ten generations, especially in colonial New England, so I have found some common ancestors in WikiTree, but I don't have my own Profile for them, and am not on any Trusted Lists yet.
So how do I Search? And what can I do if I find one of my ancestors in the WikiTree? Here is what I did today:
1) There is a Search box at the very top of most of the WikiTree pages in the very top line on the page - the Search Box has "First Name" and "Last Name" fields. Here is the screen shot:
The Search fields are just above my picture next to my name. I entered First Name = "peregrine" and Last Name = "white," who is one of my ancestors (but not in my WikiTree database yet).
2) I clicked on the "Search" button and was rewarded with a list of six matches:
There are three matches for the Peregrine White who was born aboard the Mayflower in November 1620 to William and Susanna (--?--) White.
3) The only match that listed parents of Peregrine White was the third one down the list - here is the Profile for Peregrine White from this submitter:
Because this Profile is "Open" (the default privacy level for subjects that died more than 200 years ago, and the Privacy was not changed by the Profile Manager), I can see all of the information submitted for this Profile. If I want to discuss the information with the Profile Manager, I can type something into the "Public Bulletin Board" on the right of the screen above. The message can have up to 800 characters.
4) I clicked back to the Profile for Peregrine White's father, William White, and noted the information about William White, including the sources used by the Profile Manager. I have some problems with some of this information, so I wrote a message in the "Public Bulletin board," suggesting that the Profile Manager check the Mayflower Families book for William White:
I believe that the WikiTree system sent the Profile Manager an email message with my message, but I don't think that it sent me a copy. We'll see!
5) In order for me to collaborate with this Profile Manager, I need to request to be on the "Trusted List" for each Profile that I'm interested in. Down at the bottom of the Profile, just above the "Memories About..." section is a link:
"[For full editing rights, request to join William "Mayflower Compact"'s Trusted List.]
I clicked on the link and saw: