My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for the genealogy carnivals, or other meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* Copyright and the old family photo by Judy G. Russell on The Legal Genealogist blog. Judy explains how the photo taken in 1900 is still in copyright protection. Interesting.
* Five Golden Rules for Growing Our Family Trees Rule 1 Do Your Own Research by the writer of the My Family Roots Run Deep blog. These are Kimberly Powell's rules, but the examples are this blogger's.
* Lock, Stock and barrel by Pat Richley-Erickson on DearMYRTLE's Genealogy Blog. Ol' MYRT shares when, how and why she enters data into her genealogy database, and what she does with disproved information.
* Traveling with the Dead Ancestors by guest blogger Jennifer Wilson on the Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak Roots World blog. Jennifer and her family went back to live in her ancestral country for awhile, and she has suggestions for those that want to do that also.
* Source Citation vs. Proof by James Tanner on the Genealogy's Star blog. James makes excellent points here discussing this issue.
* The iPad and Power Point Presentations by Lucie LeBlanc Consentino on the Lucie's Legacy blog. Lucie explains the process to making this work.
* WDYTYA – 3×03 – Blair Underwood – The Nitpicker’s Version by Banai Feldstein on The Ginger Jewish Genealogist blog. Banai always has the definitive post from a genealogists point of view.
* “Evidence-based” and “Conclusion-based” software use by Michael Hait on the Planting the Seeds blog. Michael lists the blog posts from the recent discussion, and adds further discussion points.
Several genea-bloggers wrote weekly pick posts and news summary posts this week, including:
* Monday Morning Mentions by Lynn Palermo on The Armchair Genealogist blog.
* Ruth's Recommendations by Ruth Blair on The Passionate Genealogist blog.
* Genealogy Round Up, March 8 by Megan Smolenyak on the Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak's Roots World blog
* Follow Friday: This Week's Favorite Finds by Jen on the Climbing My Family Tree blog.
* Genealogy News Corral, March 5-9 by Diane Haddad on the Genealogy Insider blog.
I encourage readers to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Google Reader, RSS feed or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1200 genealogy bloggers using Google Reader, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2012/03/best-of-genea-blogs-4-to-10-march-2012.html