It's also Super Bowl Weekend in America - the whole country (well, almost) will watch the game between the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday afternoon at 6:30 p.m. EST (3:30 p.m. PST).
Your mission, should you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible! music) is to:
1) What is your favorite National Football League team? [For those that are not American football fans, but a fan of another sports team, substitute your favorite team] Why are you a fan of this team? How long have you been a fan of your favorite team?
2) What is the genealogy of your favorite team? When did it start playing, what leagues has it played in?
3) Have you worked for the team in any capacity, or attended games? What is your best memory of your favorite team's history?
4) Predict the score of the Ravens-49ers game on Sunday.
5) Tell us in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or in a status on Facebook, or in a Google+ Stream post.
1) My favorite NFL team is the San Diego Chargers. This is logical, because I was born and raised in San Diego and have never left. The Chargers first season in San Diego was 1961. They just played their 52nd season in San Diego.
2) The Los Angeles Chargers were charter members of the American Football League (AFL) started in 1959, with hotel heir Barron Hilton (son of Barron Hilton) as the majority owner. AFL play started in 1960, and the team moved to San Diego before the 1961 season. The AFL-NFL merger was consummated in 1966, and the Chargers joined the National Football League in 1970. San Diego was in the 1995 Super Bowl at Miami after the 1994 season, but lost to the San Francisco 49ers, 49-26. San Diego has hosted three Super Bowls - the last one in 2003. There is more history in the Wikipedia article here.
3) My first "real" job was in the summer of 1963 working for the San Diego Chargers at their training camp. I wrote about it in My first real job. I attended Charger games from 1961 through 1973 with my brother, my friends, and my wife. Since then, we've watched it on TV. I refuse to jump on the bandwagon of any other football team - this one is mine, win or lose. I exult when we get in the playoffs, I die when we lose games we should win, I criticize the coaches and players and front office when they mess up. That's my prerogative as a lifelong fan.
My best memory is of the 1963 season, when my brother and I attended the AFL Championship game at Balboa Stadium in San Diego. The Chargers beat the Boston Patriots 51-10. That is the only league championship that the Chargers have won.
4) My prediction for the 2013 game: 49ers 24, Ravens 20
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2013/02/saturday-night-genealogy-fun-super-bowl.html