Your mission, should you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible! music) is to:
1) Where did families with your surname reside in the USA (in 1840, 1880 or 1920) or England/Wales (in 1891)?
2) Go to the FREE Ancestry.con Surname Distribution Map page (http://www.ancestry.com/learn/facts) to find out.
3) Tell us what you learned from this page, and show us some maps, in your own blog post, on a Facebook status or a Google+ Stream post.
For my SEAVER surname, I learned that:
* Seaver Name Meaning
In the USA in 1840, the surname distribution map shows:
In the 1840 U.S. census, Massachusetts has the highest number of Seaver families, with New York, Vermont and New Hampshire next.
From the 1880 U.S. Census records:
In the 1880 U.S. census, the heaviest concentration of Seaver families was in New York and Massachusetts.
From the 1920 U.S. Census records:
By 1920, there were Seaver families in all but 6 U.S. states, with the heaviest concentration in New York and Massachusetts. However, the number of families with this surname is significantly reduced for some reason.
For England and Wales in the 1891 census:
In the 1891 England and Wales census, the heaviest concentration of Seaver families is in London, and the next highest is in Surrey and Sussex.
There are other information items below the maps, including:
* Family Origin - the New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 collection finds 19 immigrants from England, 5 from Ireland and 5 from Great Britain. [Perhaps this is only for 1851 to 1891? I don't know!]
* Family Immigration over the years 1851-1891
* Average Life Expectancy (from the SSDI) - the chart didn't show up for me
* Family Occupations - top 6 occupations for the general public and Seaver folks from 1880 U.S. census data.
* Civil War Service Records - There were 140 Union soldiers and 20 Confederate soldiers in the records
* Message Board - the Seaver message board on Rootsweb has 114 messages on 85 threads.
I showed you mine - now please show us yours!
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2013/11/saturday-night-genealogy-fun-show-us_23.html
copyright (c) 2013, Randall J. Seaver