* The 1858 Trial of Mortimer Seaver - Post 1: Benjamin Phillips Testimony (10 June 2014)
* The 1858 Murder Trial of Mortimer Seaver - Post 2: Jeremiah Slack's Testimony (11 June 2014)
* The 1858 Murder Trial of Mortimer Seaver - Post 3: Testimony of 4 More Witnesses (12 June 2014)
* The 1858 Murder Trial of Mortimer Seaver - Post 4: Testimony of 10 More Witnesses (13 June 2014)
* The 1858 Murder Trial of Mortimer Seaver - Post 5: Testimony of the Victim's Wife (16 June 2014)
* The 1858 Murder Trial of Mortimer Seaver - Post 6: More Testimony of Sarah Seaver (17 June 2014)
The article starts in the right-hand column of Page 1 above, continues on to most of Page 2, and then finishes in the 30 January 1858 edition of the newspaper on pages 1 and 2. The first page of the 30 January 1858 issue is at http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=9AjqDp0R1qcC.
I am transcribing the articles in a series of blog posts - who knows how long this will take. I hope my readers enjoy it. Note that this is a reporter's summary of the trial, not the trial court transcript.
There are 11 witnesses who testified in this post - most of them about the amount of mowing done by Mortimer, and whether his scythe was tight, plus details of what happened with Mortimer at the Maine's house. Addison Armstrong talked about his relationship and dealings with Aaron Seaver. The loaded status of the two rifles when people were in the Seaver house was also an issue.
Stay tuned!! There is more testimony of other witnesses, and some more witnesses are recalled. This trial summary is far from over.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2014/06/the-1858-murder-trial-of-mortimer_18.html
Copyright (c) 2014, Randall J. Seaver