* their son, #26 Devier J. Smith (1839-1894), who married #27, Abigail A. Vaux (1844-1931) in 1861.* their daughter, #13 Abbie Ardell "Della" Smith (1862-1944) who married #12 Henry Austin Carringer (1853-1946) in 1887.
1) PERSON (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Name: Mary "Polly" Bell
* Alternate Name: Mary Smith[4–7]
* Sex: Female
* Father: James Bell (1778-1838)
* Mother: Cornelia Bresee (1780-1840)
2) INDIVIDUAL FACTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Birth: 23 April 1805, New York, United States[1-2]
* Deed: 7 December 1839 (age 34), Henderson, Jefferson, New York, United States * Census: 1 June 1850 (age 45), Henderson, Jefferson, New York, United States
* Census: 1 June 1860 (age 55), Oak Grove, Dodge, Wisconsin, United States
* Death: 12 May 1865 (age 60), Burnett, Dodge, Wisconsin, United States[6–7]
* Burial: after 12 May 1865 (after age 60), Burnett Corners Cemetery, Burnett, Dodge, Wisconsin, United States
3) SPOUSES AND CHILDREN (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Spouse 1: Ranslow Smith (1805-1873)
* Marriage: before 1835 (before about age 30), Probably Jefferson, New York, United States
* Child 1: Mary Jane Bell Smith (1838-1911)
* Child 2: Devier James Lamphier Smith (1839-1894)
4) NOTES (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
In the Abigail (Vaux) Smith list of births, marriages and deaths:
Parents of D J Smith
Mary Smith Borne April 23, 1805
....................... Died May 12, 1865
Ranslow Smith borne July 11, 1805
No information has been found for the marriage date of Ranslow Smith and Mary (Polly) Bell. Since they were married at the time of the writing of the deed by Mary's father, James Bell, in 1839 in Jefferson County, New York, it is certain that they were married before the deed was written.
On 3 December 1839, six heirs-at-law of James Bell sold 65.68 acres of land in Henderson to Jedediah McCumber for $1,046.86. The six heirs-at-law included Harvey Smith (and wife Sarah), Ranslow Smith (and wife Polly), John Clark (and wife Nancy), David Bell (and wife Emeline), Cornelia Bell, and James G. Bell (and wife Nancy). The property in Henderson was part of subdivision 1 of great lot 13, bounded by stakes and stones. Another heir, Orin Bell, owned a seventh part of the lot, which was not included in the purchase.
Ranslow and Mary (Bell) Smith had two children. We know that their son Devier J. Lamphier Smith was adopted. It may be that their daughter, Mary Bell Smith was also adopted. She may have been a child of one of Mary's brothers.
Ranslow Smith moved his family in the 1843 time frame to Dodge County, Wisconsin, in the township of Burnett, and built an inn called the Four Mile Inn just a short distance from the railway station in 1853.
In the 1850 US census, the Ranslow Smith family resided in Burnett township, Dodge County, Wisconsin. The household included:
* Ranslow Smith, age 44, male, a farmer, real property of $2000, born NY
* Mary Smith, age 45, female, born NY
* Mary J. Smith, age 12, female, born NY
* Devier Smith, age 11, male, born New York.
In the 1860 census, this family resided in Oak Grove, Dodge County, Wisconsin. The household included:
* Ranslow Smith -- age 55, male, farmer and inn keeper, $7800 in real property, $930 in personal property, born NY
* Mary Smith -- aged 55, female, born NY
* Devier Smith -- age 21, male, farm laborer, $1232 in personal property, born NY
The Abigail (Vaux) Smith family papers list the death date of Mary Smith as 12 May 1865. The Wisconsin death index p[rpvides the same date , as does the gravestone.
Mary (Bell) Smith's gravestone is in Row 9 in the Burnett Corners Cemetery (Section 20 NW) in Burnett, Dodge County, Wisconsin. The gravestone inscription is:
May 12, 1865
AE 60 y 19d
1. unknown, Devier J. Smith, 1889-1920, Devier J. Smith Family Bible [loose pages of Birth, Marriages, Death and Note Pages] (no publication information).
2. Smith/Carringer Family Correspondence (Loose Letters, 1888–1902), Abigail (Vaux) Smith list of family births and deaths, Mary Smith birth entry, 23 April 1805, originals privately held by Randall J. Seaver, [address for private use], Chula Vista CA 91911, 1988 (great grandson). Family letters to and from Abigail (Vaux) Smith, Rebecca (Spangler) Carringer, and Della (Smith) Carringer. written by Abbie (Vaux) smith in about 1895, passed to Della (Smith) Carringer in 1931, to Lyle L. Carringer in 1946, to Betty (Carringer) Seaver in 1977, and to Randall J. Seaver (2nd great-grandson) in 1988.
3. Jefferson County [N.Y.] Clerk, "Deed Records (Jefferson County, New York); index, 1805-1966, 1805-1907," Family History Library (Salt Lake City, Utah), on 194 Reels of microfilm, citing original records in the Jefferson County Courthouse, Watertown, New York, Deed Book I3, page 534, heirs of James Bell deed, accessed on FHL Microfilm US/CAN 0,886,700.
4. 1850 United States Federal Census, Dodge County, Wisconsin, Burnett; Page 43, Line 36, Ranslow Smith household, online database, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com); citing National Archives Microfilm Publication M432, Roll 996.
5. 1860 United States Federal Census, Population Schedule, Dodge County, Wisconsin, Oak Grove; Page 745, Dwelling #704, Family #701, Ranslow Smith household; online database, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com); citing National Archives Microfilm Publication M653, Roll 1406.
6. "Wisconsin Death Records - Pre-1907 Death Index," online index database, Wisconsin Historical Society (http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/vitalrecords/; Madison, Wis. : 1996-2011), Mary Smith entry, 1865.
7. Smith/Carringer Family Correspondence, Abigail (Vaux) Smith list of family births and deaths, Mary Smith death entry, 12 May 1865.
8. Jim Tipton, indexed database, Find A Grave (http://www.findagrave.com), Burnett Corners Cemetery, wife of R. Smith memorial #32501437.
The URL for this post is:
Copyright (c) 2014, Randall J. Seaver