2) The GOBLIN surname - there are 59 entries. It looks like there are no real GOBLIN family trees - only isolated GOBLIN women who married men with other surnames.
3) The SKELETON surname - there are 455 entries but few trees with many generations. Methinks these are mostly misspelled SKELTON people (72,374).
4) The FRANKENSTEIN surname - There are 1,442 entries, and most of them are of German origin. One family that settled in Rochester NY is here. There is one Frank N. Stein here.
5) The WITCH surname - there are 144 entries, but no long family lines in the database. Some of those listed were accused of witchcraft.
6) The PUMPKIN surname - there are 77 entries, but no long family lines. There are 390 entries for a given name of PUMPKIN.
7) The HAUNT surname - there are only 6 entries, none with a family line. There are 5 persons with the first name of HAUNT.
8) The SPOOK surname - there are 34 entries, and only one with a three generation family. There are 428entries for people with a given name of Spook and 29 for the first name of Spooky (at least one dog!)
9) The GHOUL surname - there are 47 entries.
10) The JACKO surname has 362 entries, and there are 101 entries with a given name of Jacko..
11) The LANTERN surname has 319 entries. But there are no people named Jack O. Lantern.
12) There are 269 CAT surname entries and 11,821 CATT entries. There is one Black Cat name, which died in 2006 in Uncle Brick's barn..
13) There are 22 SCARY surname entries - many of them still living. There are 87 entries for a given name of Scary.
14) There are 73 DRACULA surname entries, many of them are related to The Count. There are 56 entries for a given name of DRACULA.
15) There are 544 CEMETERY entries, some of them the name of actual cemetery databases.
16) There are 4,794 GRAVE surname entries, and 334,333 GRAVES surname entries.
17) There are 157,428 entries for the surname COFFIN.
18) There are 2,438 MONSTER entries. No Monster Mash, though (there are 3,193 surname entries for MASH). There are no "Boris Pickett" persons, but there are 15 entries for BOBBY PICKETT.
19) There are 899 SKULL surname entries.
20) There are 101 SPIRIT entries. There are 3 entries for a Holy Spirit with a spouse named Mary, with a child.
21) There are 587,453 surname entries for WEBB, but only 6 entries for "Spider WEBB" (all nicknames)
22) There are 213 entries for SCREECH surname. And 51 entries for a given name or nickname of Screech.
23) There are 6 entries for HALLOWEEN surname - even a Mary Halloween. There are 125 given name entries for HALLOWEEN (including maiden names).
24) There are no VAMPIRE surname entries, and 2 given name entries.
25) There are 20,539 BROOM surname entries.
26) There are 127 BAT surname entries, 18,297 BATT surname entries and 11,746 BATTY surname entries. There are 797 entries for BATTY as a given name.
27) There are no ZOMBIE surname entries or given name entries. Whew!
28) There are 58,360 entries for the surname BLOOD.
29) The surname DEATH has 11,767 entries.
30) The TRICK surname has 4,019 surname entries and TREAT surname has 66,461 entries! There are 52 given name entries for Tricky, but no Tricky Treat.
31) he surname WARLOCK has 76 entries, but there are 43 given name entries
32) There are 3 surname entries for WEREWOLF, both married to the same Lucky guy!
33) There are 407 surname entries for BOO, and 783 given name entries for BOO.
Enough!! What other Hallowe'en oriented surnames can you think of? Are they in WorldConnect?
The Ancestry.com blog published some entries from death records in Who would name their daughter Halloween? Just check the records.
John D. Reid posted some Hallowe'en names and occupations in Halloween fun from Ancestry.ca in 2009.
Chris Dunham did some Census Whacking on Hallowe'en names in Censuswhacking for Halloween in 2005.
John Newmark had some Hallowe'en names in Friday Five in 2007.
Did I miss a post on Hallowe'en names? If so, please tell me and I'll add it to my list.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/10/more-halloween-name-whacking.html
Copyright (c) 2014, Randall J. Seaver