John Kemp (1768-1861) is #120 on my Ahnentafel list, my 4th great-grandfather, who married #121 Mary Dafoe (1776-after 1812) in 1795.
I am descended through:
* their son, #60 Abraham Kemp (1795-1881 who married #61 Sarah Sephrona Fletcher (1802-before 1861) in 1818,
* their son, #30 James Abraham Kemp (1831-1902) who married #31 Mary Jane Sovereen (1844-1874) in 1861.
* their daughter, Gerogianna Kemp (1868-1952) who married #14 Charles Auble (1849-1916) in 1898.
* their daughter #7 Emily Kemp Auble (1899-1977) who married #6 Lyle Lawrence Carringer in 1918.
* their daughter, #3 Betty Virginia Carringer (1919-2002), who married #2 Frederick Walton Seaver (1911-1983) in 1942.
1) PERSON (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Name: John Kemp[1–5]
* Sex: Male
* Father: John Kemp (1723-1795)
* Mother: Anna Van Vorst (1732-1789)
2) INDIVIDUAL EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Birth: about 1768, Schenectady, Schenectady, New York, United States1
* Census: 1 April 1851 (about age 83), Brighton, Northumberland, Ontario, Canada
* Census: 1 April 1861 (about age 93), Cramahe, Northumberland, Ontario, Canada
* Death: after April 1861 (after about age 93), probably Cramahe, Northumberland, Ontario, Canada
3) SHARED EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Spouse 1: Mary Dafoe (1776-1851)
* Marriage 1: 26 January 1795 (about age 27), Fredericksburgh, Lennox and Addington, Ontario, Canada[1–2]
* Child 1: Abraham Kemp (1795-1881)
* Child 2: Nancy Anna Kemp (1797-1874)
* Child 3: John Cook Kemp (1800-1887)
* Child 4: Jacob Kemp (1802-1887)
* Child 5: George Kemp (1806- )
* Child 6: Elizabeth Kemp (1806- )
* Child 7: James A. Kemp (1807-1891)
* Child 8: Lucy Kemp (1809- )
* Child 9: Mary Kemp (1812-1912)
4) NOTES (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
Most of the information about John Kemp and his family was obtained from Cheryl Kemp Taber and can be seen on her Rootsweb WorldConnect database (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=cdn-kemp).
John Kemp was born in about 1768, probably in Schenectady or Ballston Spa in New York state, the son of John and Anna (Van Vorst) Kemp.
John Kemp Jr. is on the provision list of Kingston, Ontario for the King's Rangers in 1786. As a result of his service and loyalty to the Crown, he was recommended for 200 acres of land in 1797, receiving a full grant in Huntingdon township, and in Fredericksburgh in 1800. He apparently was first a Sergeant, then a Captain Coronet in the Addington Dragoons under Captain Trumpours in the War of 1812.
The marriage record of John Kemp and Mary Dafoe was in Fredericksburgh in Addington and Lennox County, Ontario. The record says:
"John Kemp, Fredericksburgh, bachelor, and Mary Defoe, same place, spinster, January 26, 1795
John Finkle, Jacop Finkle, Andrew Rikley, Margaret Huffman [Witnesses]"
John and Mary (Dafoe) Kemp had nine children born between 1795 and 1812, and all of them were baptized in the Fredericksburgh church.
John Kemp moved from Fredericksburgh in Addington County to Ameliasburg in Prince Edward County, and in about 1817 he became a resident of Brighton township, Northumberland County, Ontario by 1821. He was a tavern keeper in Fredericksburgh, and a labourer.
A number of land patents were granted to him in Fredericksburgh township in Addington County in 1822 and 1823; in Huntingdon township, Hastings County in 1823 and 1832; in Vespra township, Simcoe County in 1834-1836.
In the 1851 Canada West census, John Kemp was enumerated in Brighton township, Northumberland County, Ontario with the Obed and Mary Simpson family (Note: Mary Simpson was the daughter of John Kemp). Information about John Kemp (line 44) includes:
* Name: John Kemp
* Occupation: Labourer
* Birthplace: U.S.A.
* Religion: E. Methodist
* Age: 85
* Sex: Male
In the 1861 Canada West census for Cramahe township, Northumberland County, Ontario, John Kemp is listed in the John Wade household (Elizabeth Wade was John Kemp's granddaughter, daughter of Obed and Mary (Kemp) Simpson). His enumeration includes:
* Name: John Kemp
* Birthplace: U.S.
* Religion: C of E [Church of England]
* Age: 94
* Sex: Male
* Marital Status: Widower
* Member of Family: No
The 1861 Canada West Census is the last known record of John Kemp. He may have died shortly after April 1861, probably in Cramahe, Northumberland County, Ontario.
1. Cheryl Kemp Taber, "Kemps and Kin," online database, Rootsweb WorldConnect Project (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=cdn-kemp).
2. William Briggs, Ontario Historical Society Papers and Records (Toronto, Canada : Ontario Historical Society, 1899), page 68, John Kemp and Mary Dafoe marriage entry.
3. Census of 1851, Northumberland County, Ontario, District 24, Subdistrict 224, Brighton township, Page 35 (stamped), Line 44, Abram Kemp entry; digital image, Library and Archives Canada (http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1851/Pages/1851.aspx : accessed 10 March 2013); citing Library and Archives Canada Microfilm C-11739.
4. Census of Canada, 1861, Northumberland County, Ontario, Cramahe township, page 53, line 31, John Kemp entry, digital image, Library and Archives Canada (http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1861/Pages/1861.aspx); citing Library and Archives Canada Microfilm C-1055.
5. William Briggs, Ontario Historical Society Papers and Records (Toronto, Canada : Ontario Historical Society, 1899), pages 42, 45, 48, 50, 53, 55, 56, 103.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/11/52-ancestors-in-52-weeks-week-98-120.html
Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.