Sarah (Martin) Putman (1792-1860) is #127 on my Ahnentafel list, my 4th great-grandmother, who married #126 John Putman (1785-1863) in 1810.
* their daughter #63 Elizabeth Putman (1818-1895) who married #62 Alexander Sovereen (1814-1907) in 1840,
* their daughter, #31 Mary Jane Sovereen (1844-1874) who married #30 James Abraham Kemp (1831-1902) in 1861.
* their daughter, Gerogianna Kemp (1868-1952) who married #14 Charles Auble (1849-1916) in 1898.
* their daughter #7 Emily Kemp Auble (1899-1977) who married #6 Lyle Lawrence Carringer in 1918.
* their daughter, #3 Betty Virginia Carringer (1919-2002), who married #2 Frederick Walton Seaver (1911-1983) in 1942.
1) PERSON (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Name: Sarah Martin
* Alternate Name: Sarah Putman
* Sex: Female
* Father: Mulford Martin (1763- )
* Mother: Betsey Rolfe (1766- )
2) INDIVIDUAL EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Birth: 7 March 1792, Woodbridge, Middlesex, New Jersey, United States
* Census: 1 April 1851 (age 59), Middleton, Norfolk, Ontario, Canada
* Death: 21 December 1860 (age 68), Delhi, Norfolk, Ontario, Canada
* Burial: after 21 December 1860 (after age 68), Delhi, Norfolk, Ontario, Canada
3) SHARED EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Spouse 1: John Putman (1785-1863)
* Marriage 1: about 1810 (about age 18), probably Seneca, New York, United States
* Child 1: Peter W. Putman (1812-1882)
* Child 2: Martin Mulford Putman (1816-1892)
* Child 3: Isaac Kinnan Putman (1819- )
* Child 4: Elizabeth Putman (1818-1895)
* Child 5: Rebecca Putman (1822-1852)
* Child 6: Mary Putman (1825-1912)
* Child 7: Martha Putman (1829- )
* Child 8: William C. Putman (1834-1893)
4) GENERAL NOTES (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
The data presented on the Putman family was obtained from Mark Putman, who publishes the Putman Family Bulletin. One of his publications, "Descendants of David Janse Putman, son of Johannes Pootman of Schenectady, New York," covers the present ancestral line, The John Putman sketch is on pages 57-59.
Sarah Martin was born on 7 March 1792 in Woodbridge, Middlesex County, New Jersey, the daughter and third child of Mulford and Betsey (Rolfe) Martin. I don't have a source for the birth date. She was age 58 in the 1851 Census of Upper Canada (so born in 1792 or 1793) and "in her 68th year" on her gravestone in December 1860 (so likely born in 1792 or 1793).
Sarah Martin married John Putman in about 1810, probably in Seneca County, New York, where the Peter Putman family had moved.
John and Sarah Putman moved to Steuben County, New York between 1810 and 1820. Their eight children were probably born in Wayne Town, Steuben County, New York between 1812 and 1834.
The John Putman family seems to have lived in the "Houck Neighborhood," a couple of miles northwest of the Village of Wayne, New York. The Town of Wayne was noted for its pine lumber, and large rafts of lumber were float from Mud Lake below the Village of Wayne, down Mud Creek to the Susquehanna that loggers built between 1810 and 1830 and floated down Mud Creek to the Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania, and Maryland.
About 1834, John Putman, with his brother Isaac Kinnan Putman, moved his family to Fredericksburg (later called Delhi), Norfolk County, Ontario, named after Frederick Sovereign, an early settler. John Putman may have followed the lumber trade from Steuben County, New York to Norfolk County, Ontario, since many of John's sons were lumber men. John Putman and Isaac Kinnan Putman pledged an oath of allegiance to Canada, recorded in Norfolk County in 1842.
The 1851 Census of Canada West provides this information about the Mulford M. Putman household residing in Middleton, Norfolk County, Ontario:
* Mulford M. Putman - an Inn Keeper, born in State New York, Religion is Baptist, Residence is Middleton, age 37, male
* Elizabeth Putman - a Land Lady, born in State New York, Religion is Baptist, Residence is Middleton, age 36, female
* Malvina M. Putman - born in Norwich CU [Canada Upper], Religion is Baptist, Residence is Middleton, age 14, female
* John W. Putman - born in Charlotteville CU, Religion is Baptist, Residence is Middleton, age 11, male
* Josephine Putman - born in Windham CU, Religion is Baptist, Residence is Middleton, age 8, female
* Helen M. Putman - born in P?????? CU, Religion is Baptist, Residence in Middleton, age 5, female
* John Putman - born in State Jersey, Religion is Baptist, Residence is Middleton, age 64, male
* Sarah Putman - born in State New Jersey, Religion is Baptist, Residence is Middleton, age 58, female.
Sarah Putman died in Delhi, Norfolk County, Ontario 21 December 1860 in her 68th year. John Putman died in Delhi 10 May 1863 at the age of 78. Both were buried in the Middle Township Cemetery, but when the cemetery was sold in about 1970 to build a store, their gravestones were moved a short distance to the Delhi Cemetery. The inscription on the gravestone for Sarah and John "Putnam" in Delhi Cemetery says:
Sarah John Putnam
John Putnam died
died May 10 1863
Dec 21 1860 in his
in her 78th year
1. Mark R. Putnam, "David Janse Pottman, Also Known as David Potman and Putman," The Putman Family Bulletin (http://www.putmanfamily.org/ : accessed 22 January 2015), John Putman sketch, pages 57-59.
2. Census of 1851, Norfolk County, Canada West, District 25, Subdistrict 225, Middleton township, Page 5 (stamped), Lines 2 to 9, Mulford M. Putman household; digital image, Library and Archives Canada (http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1851/Pages/1851.aspx : accessed 10 March 2013); Library and Archives Canada Microfilm C-11741.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/12/52-ancestors-in-52-weeks-127-sarah.html
Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Or contact me by email at email@example.com.