I have a photocopy of pages from this published book in my Adams notebook:
J. Gardner Bartlett, Henry Adams of Somersetshire, England and Braintree, Mass.; His English Ancestry and some of His Descendants (New York City : privately printed, 1927).
I obtained the pages at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City in 2010, and also found that it has been digitized in FamilySearch Books.
Note that this "Master Source" is a different work than the first two posts in this series. I am using it because it has more information about the Henry Adams family that suit my purposes for this blog series. I probably should have used it initially.
Previous posts in this series include:
* Creating Source Citations in RootsMagic 7 - Post 1: New Master Source (posted 12 January 2016).
* Creating Source Citations in RootsMagic 7 - Post 2: Adding Source Details to the Master Source (posted 13 January 2016).
* Creating Source Citations in RootsMagic 7 - Post 3: Adding Master Text, Detail Text, Quality and Repository Information (posted 14 January 2016).
In the first two posts, I created a new "Master Source" and a "Source Detail" using the RootsMagic source templates. In the third post, I completed the source citation by adding to the screens for Master Text, Detail Text, Quality and Repository.
In this post, I will demonstrate how to find and use a RootsMagic source template for the book as found on FamilySearch Books.
1) I added a Probate event for Henry Adams in RootsMagic 7 previously, using the date and place that his will was proved. I want to find a source template for a published book found on an online provider.
Here is the title page of the book on FamilySearch Books (https://books.familysearch.org/):
I clicked on the "Source" button in the "Edit Person" screen which opened the "Citation Manager" screen shown below:
2) I want to add another source for this book found on FamilySearch Books collection. I know I don't have this as an existing source, so I'm going to click on the "Add new source" button in the "Citation Manager" screen, and I see the "Select Source Type" screen with the list of RootsMagic source templates:
I scrolled through the list of source templates, and settled on the "Book, Image copy (online)" template.
3) Here is the filled in template for the "Master Source:"
The "Master Source" field entries I chose were:
* Author: J. Gardner Bartlett and Edward Dean Adams
* Title: Henry Adams of Somersetshire, England and Braintree, Mass.
* Sub-Title: His English Ancestry and Some of His Descendants
* Publish Place: New York City
* Publisher: privately published
* Publish date: 1927
* New format: digital images
* Creator/Owner: FamilySearch
* Website title: FamilySearch Books
* URL: https://books.familysearch.org/
The "Source Detail" field entries I chose were:
* Access type: accessed
* Access date: 13 January 2016
* Page: pages 67-68, Henry Adams probate record entry
4) I clicked "OK" and had to add a "Master Source" name for this work on the FamilySearch Books website. The "Master Source Name" I chose was:
Adams of Somersetshire, England and Braintree, Mass. - by Bartlett (FamilySearch Books)
5) I added the Master Text, Detail text, Quality and Repository information also, copying them from the earlier free-form citation I crafted yesterday.
On the "Master Text" button, I clicked on the "Web Tags" button, and then clicked on the "Add" button on the "Web Tags" screen, and filled in the fields in the "Edit Web Tag" screen:
The URL added to the "WebTag" screen was:
6) The "Citation Manager" screen for this event for Henry Adams is:
The three source citation models for this master source and event source detail are:
Footnote: J. Gardner Bartlett and Edward Dean Adams, Henry Adams of Somersetshire, England and Braintree, Mass.: His English Ancestry and Some of His Descendants (New York City: privately printed, 1927), pages 67-68, Henry Adams probate record entry; digital images, FamilySearch, FamilySearch Books (https://books.familysearch.org/ : accessed 13 January 2016.
Short Footnote: Adams, Henry Adams of Somersetshire, England and Braintree, Mass., pages 67-68, Henry Adams probate record entry.
Bibliography: Adams, J. Gardner Bartlett and Edward Dean. Henry Adams of Somersetshire, England and Braintree, Mass.: His English Ancestry and Some of His Descendants. New York City: privately printed, 1927. Digital images. FamilySearch. FamilySearch Books. https://books.familysearch.org/ : 2016.
7) In the next post in this series, I will show how to craft a source citation for a census record using a U.S. census source template, and then do the same source citation using a "free-form" source template in RootsMagic.
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver