Here are more of the photographs I took during our visit:
1) I had information from a book that there were newspaper articles about my Ranslow Smith family that were in the Dodge County, Wisconsin newspapers, and I had a list of the dates I wanted to see. Here is the entrance to the Beaver Dam (Wisconsin) Community Library:
2) The library had a very well organized bookcase with family history materials:
The shelves in the photo above are labeled as "Beaver Dam and Dodge County Newspaper Indexes," "Dodge County Cemetery Indexes," "Dodge County Plat Maps and Indexes," and "Beaver Dam Telephone Books."
3) The shelves next to the shelves above were reserved for local historians, and had some of the best resource books:
I was mainly interested in the "Dodge County Citizen Newspaper Index, 1856-1914" on the counter above.
4) I searched that index book for my Devier and Ranslow Smith:
Unfortunately, these indexes had only vital events plus some probate record events in the index.
5) When I came into the library and asked for the genealogy section, a newspaper reporter asked me where I was from and what I was researching, so I told her. She insisted on taking my picture with the librarian, Anita Streich:
6) After I got home, the librarian sent the article from the Beaver Dam Daily Citizen newspaper dated 29 September 2011:
This was a pretty successful research visit. I was able to find some of the articles mentioned in the book I had about my 3rd great-grandfather, Ranslow smith, and his family in the early years of the paper.
When I was leaving, I asked if there was a local historical society in town and Anita gave me directions and a name to the Beaver Dam Historical Society. I will report on that visit next week.