1) Katherine Hepburn - Actress, 7th cousin 2x removed, common ancestor is Anne Smith (1627-1671).
My line back to Anne Smith and her husband John Moore is well documented. Katherine's line goes through Jonathan Moore. My judgment is that this relationship is Probable.
2) Ryan Gosling -- Actor, 8th cousin 2x removed, common ancestor is Sarah Shepard (1667-1746).
My line back to Sarah Shepard is well documented, and Ryan's line looks right in the first generation. My judgment is that this relationship is Probable.
3) Libbi Crowe -- Facebook friend, 7th cousin 1x removed, common ancestor is Anne Belden (1675-1745).
I believe that my relationship to Anne Belden is wrong on the We're Related app because it goes through Rebecca Mead (1766-1830), the purported mother of William Knapp (1775-1856). Therefore, I think that this relationship is Speculative.
4) Henry Ford - Businessman, 7th cousin 3x removed, common ancestor is Martha Ford (1580-1634).
My relationship to Martha Ford on the We're Related app is through her purported son, William Brown (1624-1694). Martha is supposedly married to Peter Brown of the Mayflower. The Mayflower Silver Book for Peter Brown does not list William Brown as a son. The Great Migration Begins book does not list William Brown as a son of Peter Brown and Martha Ford. My judgment is that this relationship is Wrong.
5) Merle Streep - Actress, 8th cousin 1x removed, common ancestor is John Young (1624-1690).
My line back to John Young is well documented, but I don't know about Merle's line. My judgment is that this relationship Probable.
5) Jake Gyllenhaal -- Actor, 9th cousin, common ancestor is Mary Mousall (1633-1669).
My research says that Thomas Goble (1656-1724) was the son of Thomas Goble (1631-1690) and his first wife, Ruth (1633-1668), and not Mary Gove, the second wife. I think Ancestry picked the wrong Member Tree to follow here. My judgment is that this relationship is Wrong.
7) Peyton Manning - Football player, 8th cousin, common ancestor is Josiah Wood (0171-0161) [that's what it says!]
The Josiah Wood in my line is 1687-1753, married to Ruth Walker (1692-1752). Peyton's line is through daughter Anne Wood (1715-1769), who I don'r see in the Josiah Wood and Ruth Walker family. My judgment is that this relationship is Wrong.
8) John Brown - Social reformer, 5th cousin 5x removed, common ancestor is Peter Brown (1600-1633).
I discussed my line back to William Brown (1624-1694) in the Henry Ford relationship above. I don't think I'm descended from Peter Brown of the Mayflower. The John Brown lines goes through a purported son of Peter Brown, named Peter Brown (1632-1692). The son Peter Brown is not listed in the Silver Book or the Great Migration Begins book. My judgment is that this relationship is Wrong.
9) Midge Frazel - Facebook friend, 7th cousin 1x removed, common ancestor is Moses Barber (1652-1733).
I'm pretty sure that my line back to Moses Barber is correct. The app says that Midge's line goes through Benjamin Barber (1707-1792) and a son, Benjamin Perry Barber (1785-1868). I not that the father Benjamin would have been 78 years old when Benjamin Perry Barber was born. I hope that Midge shows that this is correct, or that the app messed up the lineage somehow. My judgment is that this relationship is Possible.
My count is up to 78 famous or Facebook cousins.
I will say it again: My biggest problem with this We're Related app is that it thinks it knows my ancestral lines better than I do, and adds one to three generations to some of my end-of-line ancestors. They may be right, I don't know, and can't really find out because they provide no source material to back up their assertions. If there was authoritative information for my end-of-line ancestors, I would add it. None of the additions have been convincing to me yet.