Welcome to my genealogy blog. Genea-Musings features genealogy research tips and techniques, genealogy news items and commentary, genealogy humor, San Diego genealogy society news, family history research and some family history stories from the keyboard of Randy Seaver (of Chula Vista CA), who thinks that Genealogy Research Is really FUN!
Copyright (c) Randall J. Seaver, 2006-2017.
1) PERSON (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Name:Matthias Trimmer[1-4]
* Sex: Male
* Father: Johannes Trimmer (1700-1749)
* Mother: Mary (1700-1738)
2) INDIVIDUAL EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Birth: 1722, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany[1,4]
* Probate: 1 October 1791 (about age 69), will written; Roxbury, Morris, New Jersey, United States[2–3]
* Death: before 18 March 1793 (before about age 71), Readington, Hunterdon, New Jersey, United States[1-4]
* Burial: before 18 March 1793 (before about age 71), Marcella Union Cemetery, Marcella, Morris, New Jersey, United States
* Probate: 18 March 1793 (about age 71), will proved; Morris, New Jersey, United States[2-3]
3) SHARED EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Spouse 1: Anna Martha Nachbar (1724- )
* Marriage 1: 1742 (about age 20), New Jersey, United States
* Child 1: Mary Anna Trimmer (1743-1826)
* Child 2: John Trimmer (1745- )
* Child 3: Matthias Trimmer (1746- )
* Child 4: Elizabeth Trimmer (1750-1826)
* Child 5: Leonard Erhart Trimmer (1752-1777)
* Child 6: Sophia Trimmer (1755-1811)
* Child 7: Jacob Trimmer (1757- )
* Child 8: David Morris Trimmer (1759-1824)
3) NOTES (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
The book Early Germans of New Jersey by Chambers provides most of the data available for this family.
Matthias Trimmer was born about 1722, probably in the Rheinland-Pfalz region of present-day Germany, the son of Johannes and Mary (--?--) Trimmer. The family came to Philadelphia aboard the ship "Davy" in 1738, and settled near Amwell in Hunterdon County, New Jersey.
He was naturalized along with his father on 8 December 1744.
Matthias Trimmer married Anna Martha Nachbar in about 1742, the daughter of Leonard Nachbar. They had eight children born between 1743 and 1759, all in Hunterdon County.
Matthias was called the eldest son of Johannes Trimmer in a deed which disposed of his father's property amongst his children. The book of deeds in Flemington, New Jersey, said:
"Whereas John Trimmer stood possessed at the time of his decease of a tract of land in Amwell of 300 acres, bounded on the south by land of Jacob Hand, westerly by land formerly William Bings, now Paul Couls, northerly by land of John Jarell's and part of Neshaning (Neshanic) Brook, Adam Bellowsfelt's and Jacob Stout's land, and easterly by William Bellowsfelt; and did agree to will to his eldest son, the said Matthias Trimmer, of Long Valley near Fox Hill, party to these presents, 105 acres, part of the above mentioned tract, for 425 pounds, on 4 November 1748; and the said John Trimmer died before any conveyance was made out and no provision was made in his will to give a title to the said lands; as the money had been paid by said Matthias Trimmer, the sons and legatees of John Trimmer, Tunis, Andrew, George, Harman, William, John, Nicholas and Henry, sign a release of said land unto their eldest brother, the eldest son of John, viz. Matthias, 31 May 1750."
On 4 April 1751, Matthias sold this land to Philip Kels (Hunterdon County Freeholders).
Matthias "Tys" Trimmer removed to Long Valley or German Valley in Hunterdon County, New Jersey before 1748.
Matthias Drimmer was a member of Zion Lutheran Church, signing Rev. Weygand's call in 1749.
He bought the farm next to Leonard Nachbar, the last one of Logan's Tract, paying 160 pounds for 338.5 acres, which he possessed on 30 May 1750.
His will dated 1791, probated 10 March 1793, names his children. The New Jersey, Abstracts of Wills, Volume XIII, Page 363, says:
"1791, Oct. 1. Trimmer, Matthias, Sr. of Roxbury Twsp., Morris Co., will of. Son, Matthias, L30, and his maintenance during life from lands bequeathed to son, John. Son, John, 220 acres he now has in his possession by deed of William Logan, and 30 acres by deed of Daniel Alison; also L12. son, Jacob, 265 acres held by deed from Phillip Eyke. son, David, remainder of old place, 110 acres; also 70 acres on Foxhill held by deed from Isaac Smith, Daughter, Mary Tufford (wife of Stephen Tufford), L125. Daughter Sofie Abel (wife of John Auble), L125. Grandchildren (children of daughter Elizabeth Snook, dec'd), L125 divided between them as each comes of age. The above bequests, of L375, to be paid by 3 sons, John, Jacob and David. 2 grandchildren (children of son, Leonart, dec'd), Plantation of 150 acres on Foxhill held by deed from Thomas Bowls, to be sold and proceeds divided between them. Movable estate to be divided between all my heirs. Executors - son, John, and son-in-law, Stephen Tufford. Witnesses - Jacob Karn, John Neighbour, David Welsh. Proved Mar. 18, 1793. Lib. 33, p. 326
1793, Feb. 27. Inventory, L173.13.4; made by Leonard Neighbour and David Welsh. File 831N."
Matthias Trimmer was buried in Marcella Union Cemetery in Marcella, Morris County, New Jersey.
1. Theodore Frelinghuysen Chambers, The Early Germans of New Jersey: their history, churches, and genealogies (Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1982), pages 533-539, Trimmer family sketch.
2. Elmer T. Hutchinson, editor, Documents Relating to the Colonial History of the State of New Jersey:: First Series -- Volume XXXVII: Calendar of New Jersey Wills, Administrations, etc., Volume VIII -- 1791-1795 (Jersey City, N.J.: Scott Printing Company, 194), page 363, will of Matthias Trimmer, Sr., 1791; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 30 April 2015.
3. New Jersey, Surrogates Court, Record of Wills, 1740-1900, 1n-8426n, Morris County Wills 772n-885n, File 831n (images 435-442 of 868), Matthias Trimmer, 1793; "New Jersey, Wills and Probate Records, 1656-1999," digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com: accessed 7 September 2015); citing original data from New Jersey County, District and Probate Courts.
4. Jim Tipton, indexed database, Find A Grave (http://www.findagrave.com), Marcella Union Cemetery, Marcella, N.J., Matthias Trimmer memorial #130996866.
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.