Welcome to my genealogy blog. Genea-Musings features genealogy research tips and techniques, genealogy news items and commentary, genealogy humor, San Diego genealogy society news, family history research and some family history stories from the keyboard of Randy Seaver (of Chula Vista CA), who thinks that Genealogy Research Is really FUN!
Copyright (c) Randall J. Seaver, 2006-2017.
1) PERSON (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Name: Samuel Fitz Randolph[1–2]
* Alternate Name: Samuel Randolph 
* Alternate Name: Samuel Randol 
* Sex: Male
* Father: Jacob Fitz Randolph (1706-1779)
* Mother: FNU LNU (1710-1764)
2) INDIVIDUAL EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Birth: about 1730, Blazing Star, Richmond, New York, United States[1-2]
3) SHARED EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Spouse 1: Martha Gach (1729- )
* Marriage: 20 October 1750 (about age 20), Woodbridge, Middlesex, New Jersey, United States[1-5]
* Child 1: Tabitha Randolph (1752-1841)
* Child 2: Mary Fitz Randolph (1754- )
4) NOTES (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
According to the Fitz Randolph periodical articles and book by Louise Christian Aymar[1-2], Samuel Randolph's father was apparently Jacob Fitz Randolph, son of Samuel and Mary (Jones) Fitz Randolph.
While Samuel is not listed in his father's will (for whatever reason - perhaps Samuel died before Jacob did, or Samuel's political views were unacceptable to Jacob, or he had changed religious persuasion, etc), that he was Jacob's oldest son is obtained from the marriage license which states[1-2]:
"Samuel Fitz Randolph who married Mary Gach, Oct. 20 1750, and said he was the son of Jacob, and Thomas Gach, Martha's father, certified he had his permission".
Samuel F. Randolph and Martha Gach had two daughters named Tabitha and Mary. They were baptized at St. John's Episcopal Church in Elizabeth, New Jersey on 6 September 1761. That these are the children of Martha Gach (daughter of Thomas Gach) and Samuel Randolph (son of Jacob Fitz Randolph) is indicated by the identities of most of the other people baptized that day in that church. They include:
* Elizabeth and Sarah Eddy, adults.
* Mary, Esther and Jane, daughters of James Eddy (and of Mary (Gach) Eddy);
* Elisha, John and Gage, sons of Elisha Insly (and of Elizabeth (Gach) Insly);
* Thomas, Martha and Abraham, children of Samuel Grow;
* Susannah and Elizabeth, daughters of Nathaniel Pike (and of Sarah (Gach) Pike);
* Thomas, son of Jacob Shotwell (and of Esther (Gach) Shotwell);
* Elizabeth, Phebe and Thomas, children of John Gage;
* Tabitha and Mary, daughters of Samuel Randolph (and of Martha (Gach) Randolph).
Mary, Elizabeth, John, Sarah, Martha and Esther Gach were all children of Thomas and Elizabeth [Bloodgood) Gach who lived in Woodbridge NJ.
Samuel apparently went by the name Randolph, since all records are written without the "Fitz." His daughter, Tabitha Randolph, married Stephen Cutter, and was listed as the daughter of Samuel F. Randolph in the Cutter family history book.
It is possible that there are land records for Samuel Randolph, but none have been found to date.
There are no known records for the death, estate or burial of Samuel and Martha (Gach) Randolph.
1. Louise Aymar Christian and Howard Stelle Fitz Randolph, The Descendants of Edward Fitz Randolph and Elizabeth Blossom, 1630-1950 (n.l.: n.p.,1950), page 19, Jacob Fitz Randolph sketch, Samuel Fitz Randolph birth entry.
2. Louise Aymar Christian, "Nathaniel Fitz Randolph of Woodbridge, N.J., Quaker, and his Descendants," New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Volume 97, Number 3 (July 1943), pages 275-280; Volume 97, Number 4 (October 1943), pages 330-340; Volume 98, Number 1 (January 1944), pages 42-54; Volume 98, Number 2 (April 1944), pages 124-130; Volume 98, Number 3 (July 1944), pages 227-234., Volume 4, page 336, Samuel Fitz Randolph entry in Jacob Fitz Randolph sketch.
3. Louise Aymar Christian and Howard Stelle Fitz Randolph, The Descendants of Edward Fitz Randolph and Elizabeth Blossom, 1630-1950, page 19, Jacob Fitz Randolph sketch, Samuel Fitz Randolph and Martha Gach marriage birth entry.
4. "New Jersey, Marriage Records, 1670-1965," online indexed database, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com) , Volume XXII, Marriage Records, 1665-1800, page 161, Marriage License for Martha Gach and Samuel Randol, both of Woodbridge.
5. "Records of St. John's Episcopal Church, Elizabeth N.J., " copied from the official records by Florence E. Youngs, purchased by The Holland Society in 1924, and filmed on FHL Microfilm 1,019,522, Item 2, and published in the Genealogical Magazine of New Jersey in Volumes 3, 6 and 7.
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at email@example.com.