Monday, November 6, 2006

I'm in withdrawal - a genealogy-free Sunday

I had a genealogy-free Sunday. I think I'm in withdrawal. I admit it - I'm a geneaholic.

Saturday night is still a blur. We had the grandsons overnight (age 3 and 8 months) and actually got them down early. Lucas (the 3 year old) fell asleep in the recliner about 6:30, so we got jammies on him and put him down. Logan (8 months) went to sleep peacefully at about 7 PM, but woke up at 8, and was back down by 8:30. It was so nice and quiet...until I went to bed before 11. I was no sooner tucked in and dozing than I heard "mommy...mommy" at the front door. Lucas was up and looking for Mom. I put him back in his bed and lay down on the floor next to him. An hour later, I woke up and went off to bed. At 12:50 AM, Logan awoke, and we got a bottle and rocked him and he was back down by 1:15. Back to bed...I was wide awake, of course. Just dozing off, and "grandpa" is called at the bedroom door. Lucas again, up at 2 AM, but back down quickly, and me back on the floor next to him. I woke up again and went to my own bed. The same cycle happened at 4 AM.

Logan woke up at 6 AM and my wife got him up and fed, and Lucas got up about 7:30, bright eyed and bushy tailed. Linda let me sleep in on Sunday until 8:30. I think I got about 5 hours at most in about 4 stints. Yawn.

Then it was Wiggles videos and Thomas the Tank Train videos all morning until Mom came home around noon, and we had lunch and they took naps. The Chargers game started at 1:15 PM -- at least my Bolts won, but it was a close game.

We went out to dinner, and my daughter let me drive her van since it is hard for me to get in the rear seat. We went to the Italian restaurant down the street. It has a real small parking lot, which is always full, with little room to maneuver. When leaving, I managed to get her van scraped up against a pickup truck, and we had to exchange info with the truck owner. That was an expensive cheap dinner!

That was my genealogy-free day (well, I did read my email). The sleep lost - recoverable; the Chargers win - great; the car damage - we have insurance; the time spent with the grandsons - priceless!!!

I do look forward to doing some genealogy tomorrow, and I will catch up on my blog reading today.


Anonymous said...

Randy, welcome to my life! I have 2 little boys also. My oldest just turned 2 and my baby is 4 1/2 months. Luckily mine usually sleep through the night. Better catch a nap :)

Anonymous said...

Well sometimes the living relatives
can give more trouble than the dead. I have sometimes found it more difficult to deal with my living mother and aunt than with my 8000 relatives in my genealogy program in my computer ;) Especially when I had to chase my aunt in darkness and freezing temperatures both I love them both anyway . Ant it is obvious that you love your little grandsons verymuch despite their ability to keep you from sleeping
greetings from
Anna-karin S
in sweden

Randy Seaver said...

Katie - oh, lucky you! The twos with a baby...your fun is just beginning!

I like naps! I grabbed one just before Lucas woke up on Monday.

They are on their way home tonight - my daughter just called from central LA lost - she finally found I-5 in the mixmaster.

Enjoy the babies - they are your own little experiments in human development. The whole process is fascinating.

Inquiring minds want to know -- when do you ever find any time to blog?

Take care -- Randy