Thursday, November 6, 2008

Home again in Chula Vista

We made it home to Chula Vista on Wednesday - our travel day looked like this:

* We were up at 5 a.m. in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Packed, watched TV election returns, mourned McCain's loss (nor unexpected, of course), went to breakfast, checked out.
* We left the hotel at 7:15 a.m. for the airport by taxicab.
* Our American Airlines flight to Dallas left San Juan at 10 a.m. We had early boarding (Linda's walker works wonders!) and cross-aisle seats. They had only snacks to eat.
* We arrived at Dallas at 1 p.m. (CST) after a five hour flight. Grabbed a salad and ice cream for lunch. No free Internet access at the airport.
* We left Dallas at 3:40 p.m. (CST) on American Airlines for San Diego. We got early boarding and bulkhead seats - more legroom! No snacks whatsoever.
* We arrived in San Diego at 5 p.m. (PST). Easy baggage pickup.
* Barbara picked us up and we went to Hob Nob Restaurant for dinner. This got us on a PST eating schedule and we missed peak traffic.
* We were home by 6:30 p.m. (PST). That's over 15 hours of travel time.

The neighbor brought the mail and newspapers over, and I put them on the couch. I unpacked my suitcase, but Linda climbed into bed. I turned the desktop computer on and read my email, and Bloglines, and some news, but turned it off at 8:30. I was exhausted. Off to bed. It was a 20 hour day. I had a headache nearly all day from reading my book and the discomfort and noise on the plane.

Of course, our bodies still think we are on Puerto Rico time, so we woke up bright-eyed at 3 a.m. (our clocks said 4 a.m. since daylight time ended while we were gone and I wasn't aware enough last night to notice it!). We got the wash started, got all of the clocks reset, I sorted the mail out, and separated the sports section from the newspapers. I read yesterday's paper (since today's didn't come until 5 a.m.), and took the trash out for collection today. Linda read her email while I was doing my thing watching FNC.

The plan for today is pretty simple:

2. Go for a walk on the bayfront with George.
3. Study my ProGen chapter and complete the "research plan" homework.
4. Make final revisions to the "Genealogy Web Sites You Can Use" presentation for Saturday at SDGS.
5. Blog a bit on Genea-Musings, Chula Vista Genealogy Cafe and Randy's Busy Life.
6. Create a CVGS board meeting agenda for Friday.
7. Participate in the ProGen chat tonight at 8 p.m.
8. Contact Ed and his siblings for this weekend's phone call.
9. Go to bed relatively early (but ER is on, hmm).
10. Eat healthy food for lunch and dinner.

I did no real genealogy on Wednesday, other than thinking about the rest of this busy week. I did share with several passengers that I was Barack Obama's cousin. They were surprised, of course, and impressed.

No comments: