Monday, November 3, 2008

I'm still on vacation - in Puerto Rico

Linda and I are still on vacation in Puerto Rico - we go home to San Diego on Wednesday.

We got off the Caribbean Princess on Sunday at about 10:45 a.m. and arrived at the Holiday Inn Express by taxicab at about 11:30. They even let us check into our room early. The small hotel lobby was packed with folks waiting for transportation to the cruise ship to start their Eastern Caribbean cruise. We unpacked, checked out the pool and Business Center, and were hungry (didn't get enough breakfast again on the ship? right...) so we wandered off onto Ashford Street and found Colombo's Restaurant - a small place with free wi-fi and decent food. I had a chicken quesadilla. We got back to the room and while Linda went swimming, I tried to connect my laptop to the hotel wi-fi with no success. So I went down to the Business Center and used their computer (15 minutes if someone is waiting). I managed to read my main email set, some of my blogs on Bloglines, and posted a blog on Genea-Musings. When I came back to the room, Linda was napping. We didn't go off to dinner until 6:30 p.m. and finally found Cafe de Angel on Ashford Street across from La Concha Resort. The food was OK, but the service was slow. There were political demonstrations along Ashford all evening - there is a close governor's race in Puerto Rico. We didn't get back until about 9:15, and I spent another hour reading blogs on Bloglines and wrote another post before bedtime.

We were up around 7 a.m. this morning, and went down for breakfast. We decided to go into Old San Juan today as tourists, so we took a cab to the Fort San Juan del Morro (known as El Morro) and toured it using our Golden Age National Parks pass. I saw genea-cruiser Vicky S at el Morro. Then we took a free trolley to the center of Old San Juan for shopping and lunch at the Old Harbour Brewery - they have a superb half-pound bacon cheeseburger with fries. We saw genea-cruiser Happy Dae on the street as they were going off to catch a plane. We did a little more shopping, but Linda had an allergic reaction to her food, and we took a cab home.

When we got back, Linda went off to the pool and I got the laptop out and uploaded all of the most recent pictures. Surprisingly, the laptop was able to connect to the Internet from the room, so I've posted several TMG cruise daily summaries - backdated to the days of the cruise so readers can read about the daily activities in the order of the events. When the series is completed, I'll write a summary post so that folks can read all of the posts in order.

I need to go read my email and blogs some more, and check in on Facebook too.

No comments: