Previous posts in this series include:
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 1: Navigation
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 2: Editing Person Data
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 3: Adding a Child to the Family
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 4A: Creating a Pedigree Chart
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 4B: Creating a Pedigree Chart
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 5: Creating a Family Group Sheet
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 6: Creating a Narrative Ancestors Report
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 7: Creating a Narrative Descendants Report
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 8: Creating a Wall Chart
In this post, I'm going to create a Timeline for the family of my grandfather, Frederick Walton Seaver (1876-1942). In the "Family" View, I clicked on the "Report" menu item and highlighted the "Charts" option, and the "Timeline" item:
The "Report Settings" menu opened, and it looks somewhat different than for other report/chart items. I added a Title for the timeline, and had to choose who to include on the Timeline. The default for the "People to include" box is "Everyone" - don't use this if you have a lot of people in your database!!!! With 23,000 people in this database, I crashed the RM4 Chart system. The only reasonable selection for "People to include" is "Select from list."
I wanted to add a background picture to this chart - the wedding photograph of Fred and Bessie (Richmond) Seaver. I clicked on the "Background" button, and could upload a picture from my computer files or the web. I found the picture I wanted in my picture files:
The only other button on the "Report Settings" menu is for "Fonts" and the only choices are for the Names (default = Times New Roman 10) and the Title (default = Arial 48), plus bold, underline, italics and strikethrough. There appear to be no color options for the fonts.
Well, the time line part of it worked OK! The chart is 8.5 inches wide, and 7 inches high. The background photograph is distorted to fit in the timeline chart boundaries. The darkness of the background photograph obscures the black title, the lines and the year scale.
I like the choices in the "Select people" menu, but it took me awhile to figure out how to Mark people effectively.