"I have Family Tree Maker 3 for my Mac, and I have been struggling with how to cite my Norwegian parish records for a long time. I pulled out The Official Guide to Family Tree Maker by Tana L. Pedersen and tried to follow the directions using the church template, but I found it confusing. Having given up until I knew the correct way to cite these, I have just been copying the page headers into the Notes section for my ancestors. After spending a few hours without success yesterday on this issue, I thought I would just search for help, and there you were!!
"The only thing I cannot get to work is inserting the internet address in the source citation. I tried adding it to the end of the Record Series field, but it still didn’t show up. The reference also didn’t add my ancestor’s name until I typed it in under Citation Text.
"So I now have this citation set up for the death of one ancestor. I think I just select it for all the others, since the Source Information stays the same and edit the information on the Source Citation page. Is that right? I see several hours of work ahead, but I have the information in the notes for each person, so I don’t have to search for the them again."
On the screen above, I wanted to add a Source to the Birth Fact, so I highlighted the Birth Fact and, on the "sources" tab in the right-hand panel, selected "Add New Source Citation" from the "New" field.
2) That opened the "Add Source Citation ..." screen where I could click the down arrow to the right of the "Source title" tab or I could click on the "New" button:
I decided to click on the "New" button since I knew I did not have an FTM source template already available for this type of source (a digital image of a Norwegian church record in one book of a series of books).
3) Clicking on the "New" button opened the "Select Source Template" screen, and I selected "Church Records" from the list:
I had to then select from the "Category" drop down menu:
I selected "Image copies" from the list of categories.
Then I had to select from the "Template" list:
I chose "Digitized online" from the Template list. I think those choices are the appropriate ones for a Church Record image copy that is digitized and provided online.
4) Having selected the template, I clicked on the "OK" button on the screen above, and was presented with the "Source" template:
* Church/author: Voss (Vangen) Parish Church
* Church location: Voss, Norway
* Record series: Voss: 1780-1810, Ministerialbok A9, Births and Baptisms [this is the specific book of records the entry was in]
* Website title: Arkivverket DigitalArkivet Scanned Church Records [the web page title]
* URL: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read
* Year: [left blank, didn't find it on the website]
* Comments: [left blank]
When I finished entering that information, I clicked on the "OK" button and "Add Source Citation..." screen opened on the "Source" tab. I entered information into the "Citation detail" field:
Page 221, entry for birth of Sjur Torgerson of Tungeteigens
5) I clicked on the "Reference Note" tab on the "Add source citation ..." screen and saw the finished source citation for this record.