I had last updated my "cousin-bait tree" back in August 2012, but I have added over 1,600 persons, about 22,000 source citations and about 800 media items to my RootsMagic database. It was time to put a new "cousin bait tree" on Ancestry.com
But how to upload it to Ancestry.com and have all of the Media items included?
There are two ways to do it (and to do it with any other software program except for Family Tree Maker 2014):
1) Export a GEDCOM File and Import it directly into Ancestry.com as a New Ancestry Member Tree. In this case, the Media items do not transfer. The user has to import them one media item at a time and attach them to persons and Facts in the Ancestry Member Tree.
2) Export a GEDCOM File and Import it into Family Tree Maker 2014, as a New Tree and then Sync that tree to a New Ancestry Member Tree. This process imports all of the content of the original database including the Media items.
I did the second option so that the Media items were imported. I exported a GEDCOM file from RootsMagic that included the Media items. I then imported that into Family Tree Maker 2014.
Here are some screen shots showing the upload to Ancestry process:
1) Here is the Family Tree Maker 2014 "Plan" workspace before importing the GEDCOM file:
After clicking on the orange "Continue" button the import started. After it imported, I checked that the media, sources, and notes had imported correctly, and they had. The one additional task I did was to identify the head shot media pictures as the "profile picture."
2) After it was completed, then the "Plan" workspace view enables me to "Sync" the database to a new Ancestry Member Tree.
Before I clicked on the "Upload and Link to Ancestry" link, I clicked on the buttons to "Allow others to see your tree as a public member tree" and to enable "Manual" synchronization rather than "Automatic" synchronization with the Ancestry Member Tree.
3) I clicked on the "Upload and Link to Ancestry" link on the screen above, and the tree uploaded. It did not take very long, even with almost 43,000 persons, for the person information to upload, but it took about 10 hours for 2395 media items to upload. I just kept FTM 2014 open during that time and it eventually finished.
4) The next day, I looked at the new Tree in the Pedigree View. Ancestry immediately started finding Record Hints for the persons on the pedigree chart:
On the "Tree Pages" link I selected "Tree Settings" and selected myself as home person and who I was in the tree. I also added a "Tree Description" in the field provided:
5) I wanted to look at a person profile, so I clicked on the Tree name on the screen above, and saw the Pedigree View, and then hovered the mouse over my grandfather, Frank Walton Seaver:
To see his Profile, I clicked on the "View profile" link at the bottom of the Profile Card on the screen above, and saw his profile:
6) From there, I could look at the 15 Hints that were found for him by Ancestry while I slept overnight, if I chose. And the Hints for the other 42,900 persons in my database, if I chose.
However, I usually don't accept Hints on this "cousin bait tree" because I've already found them and saved them to my computer, and attached them to person and Facts in my RootsMagic database, on the "ancestral family tree."
7) Some caveats:
* In order to upload Media items to Ancestry.com from a "master" genealogy database in a program other than Family Tree Maker, the user has to purchase Family Tree Maker 2014. So there is a cost.
* A tree uploaded in this manner can only be synced from the Family Tree Maker 2014 database, and not from the other genealogy software application, like RootsMagic. The user will have to add any updated information from Family Tree Maker/Ancestry.com by hand into the other program, or export the updated GEDCOM file from FTM 2014 to the other program. There are problems with that process.
* Obviously, someone who uses Family Tree Maker 2014 for their "master" genealogy database program don't have the updating problem - they can just click on the "Sync" button in the "Plan" workspace in Family Tree Maker 2014.
* Ancestry Member Trees are FREE to upload, but users need to have a subscription in order to see record Hints.
So why two trees? I'll discuss that in a separate post later this week.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2014/07/how-to-put-family-tree-on-ancestry.html
Copyright (c) 2014, Randall J. Seaver