* Found a Record for My Thomas J. Newton! (17 January 2014). This is the only actual record I've found for him.
* Finding Lambert Brigham's Death Record in Massachusetts Town and Vital Records Collection (29 January 2014). I didn't know this before; it helps the timeline for my Sophia (Buck) Newton.
* RootsTech 2014 - Day 1 - I Went to the Library! (5 February 2014). I found quite a bit of material at the FHL.
* Now Where Did I Get That Name? I Got Lucky! Mocavo Helped (28 March 2014). A Mocavo search found what Google did not.
* Getting Help From My Friends - More on the Morgan Surname Post (16 May 2014). I received some help from my friends.
* Working on One Surname at a Time - a Proper Goldmine (29 May 2014). FamilySearch Books comes through.
* Finding Able/Auble Probate Records in Sussex County, New Jersey (2 June 2014). New Jersey probate records are on FamilySearch.
* Forrest Gump Principle Strikes Again - The Frederick Sovereign (1786-1875) Drawing (22 July 2014). I found a sketch of a 4th great-grandfather.
* Organizing the Taylor County, Iowa Land Deeds of Ranslow Smith and Devier J. Smith (22 July 2014). How did I organize 28 deeds?
* Finding the Taylor County, Iowa Properties of Devier J. Smith (29 July 2014). Earthpoint.us and Google Earth are excellent tools.
* Looking for United Empire Loyalist Ancestors (8 August 2014). WDYTYA helped me find Canadian land grant information for my Loyalist ancestors.
* Finding Loyalist Petition Papers on Library and Archives Canada (LAC) (9 August 2014). More help from my friends leads me to really great land grant information.
* Middlesex County, Massachusetts Probate Records, 1648-1871, Now Available on AmericanAncestors.org (13 August 2014). These are original papers from estate packets. Very cool!
* Amanuensis Monday - Post 230: 1929 Petition for Determination of Heirship of Devier J. Smith Estate (11 August 2014); Amanuensis Monday - Post 233: More Papers in 1929 Devier J. Smith Probate File in Red Willow County, Nebraska (1 September 2014); Amanuensis Monday - Post 234: 1929 Hearing and Decree in Devier J. Smith Probate File in Red Willow County, Nebraska (8 September 2014). My friend Chris obtained these records in McCook, Nebraska for me!
* "Forrest Gump Principle of Genealogical Research" Strikes Again... (10 October 2014). Another Google Books find.
* Crowd-Sourcing Works Again! Finding Elizabeth Dill's Birth Record in Eastham, Massachusetts Records (4 November 2014). I found the elusive birth record for my 3rd great-grandmother with help from a reader.
* Episode 473 of "I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Good!" (7 November 2014). I requested a Find A Grave photo for Ranslow.
* Tombstone Tuesday - Elizabeth Spangler (1796-1863) in Crawford County, Pennsylvania (11 November 2014). I requested a Find A Grave photo for Elizabeth also.
Looking back, there's no really big breakthrough there - just a lot of small additions to the genealogy database for my ancestry. With this list, I should be able to remember what I did accomplish in 2014!
Hat tip for the blog idea: Jacquie Schattner of the Seeds to Tree blog.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2014/12/my-best-ancestral-genea-discoveries-of.html
Copyright (c) 2014, Randall J. Seaver