For this week's mission (should you decide to accept it), I challenge you to:1) What day of the week was your Grandmother born (either one)? Tell us how you found out.
2) What event was a headline in the newspapers on that date? Tell us how you found out.
3) What has happened in recorded history on your Grandmother's birth date (day and month)? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.
4) What famous people have been born on your Grandmother's birth date? Tell us how you found out, and list five of them.
5) Put your responses in your own blog post, in a comment on this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook.
Here's mine (I will refrain from sharing how I found things out - I will add it later):
1) I chose my maternal grandmother, Emily Kemp Auble who was born 19 August 1899 in Chicago, Illinois to Charles and Georgianna (Kemp) Auble. 19 August 1899 was a Saturday.
2) The major headline on 19 August 1899 in the San Diego Union newspaper was "Picquart Helping Dreyfus' Defense. The Gallant Colonel on the Stand in the Prisoner's Behalf."
A second headline was: "Kid M'Coy Joins the 'Has-Beens." The Clever Fighter put to Sleep in the First Round by a Big Philadelphian."
3) Historical events that have occurred on 19 August:
* 1561 - Mary Queen of Scots (age 18) returns to Scotland after spending 13 years in France
* 1692 - At the Salem witch trials, one woman and four men, including a minister, were executed after being convicted of witchcraft.
* 1812 -- The American frigate USS Constitution defeats England's frigate HMS Guerrier off Nova Scotia, earning the nickname "Old Ironsides."
* 1944 - The liberation of Paris from German occupation by the French and the Allies
* 1991 - Dissolution of the Soviet Union, with President Gorbachev placed under house arrest.
4) Famous persons born on 19 August:
* 1743 - Madame Du Barry, French mistress of King Louis XV
* 1871 - Orville Wright, American pilot, inventor and businessman
* 1899 - Colleen Moore, American actress (I wonder if my grandmother knew this?)
* 1921 - Gene Roddenberry, American screenwriter and producer
* 1946 - William Jefferson Blythe Clinton, 42nd President of the United States
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/03/saturday-night-genealogy-fun-date-your.html
Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver