1) Here is the link for "View All Hints Page" on the Family Tree page (click on the dropdown arrow beside the tree name in the upper left-hand corner):
I clicked on the "View All Hints Page" link on the dropdown list, and saw the redesigned "All Hints" page:
There are five sets of data in the left-hand column:
* All Hints
* Member Trees
There are two buttons at the top of the wide right-hand column on the screen above:
* "Sort by Most Recent" (the default, there are other options)
* "Filter by Name"
I clicked on the "Sort by Most Recent" dropdown arrow, and saw the other two options:
* Last Name
* First Name
I chose "Sort by Last Name" and saw the top of the list:
Since I don't have a surname for some of my tree people, those with a blank in the last name field are at the top of the list.
On the screen above, I clicked on the "Filter by Name" and entered a last name of "seaver" into the "Filter by name" field, and saw:
I received almost 5,000 entries for Hints for "Seaver" persons in "Records." I have lots of work to do!
2) What's new here? Here is a screen of the Hints from December 2015:
So the "look and feel" changes appear to be:
* The big banner "All Hints" (white on a gray background) on the new screen.
* The "Number of People with Hints" is not on the new screen
* The buttons for "People" and "Hints" with numbers are not on the new screen
* The "Filter by Name" alphabetical letters are not on the new screen.
As noted before, I am not a big fan of the gray background - but from a functional standpoint, that is not important.
3) My hope was that another button would be added at the top of the right-hand side to "Sort by Database," which is my preferred method of dealing with Hints. But it wasn't. There is space for it, however! Oh well.
As Genea-Musings readers may recall, I have been doing "Sort by Database" with my Hints for over three years - see Tuesday's Tip - Search Ancestry.com Hints by Record Collection (posted 27 January 2015).
In light of the changes to the "People With Hints" page on Ancestry.com, I wanted to make sure that the "Sort by Database" still worked. It did - here is the page for the 1920 U.S. Census:
Note that it does not have the new "All Hints" banner and still shows a link for "All people with Hints" (which is from all of the Hints, not just this database).
4) So - please, Ancestry.com, make me and other researchers happy, and add a "Sort by Database" option to your "All Hints" page. It is really useful. If you do that, then you should also add a link on the search page for each database that says "Search for Persons in your Member Tree in this Database."
As always, these Hints are not the result of a total Search of all of the Ancestry.com databases. Ancestry adds Hints on a daily basis for certain persons in my Ancestry Member Tree. I don't know how they select the persons, but they seem to do 3 to 7 persons each day. In the 17 months since I added the tree in the screens above, they have found Hints for 8,267 persons. That is up from 8,120 on 1 January 2016, so it's about 5 persons per day on average.