My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* A Month Abroad - Part Two - GRIP; Part Three - Seattle; Part Four - Speaking; and Part Five - Relatives by Israel Pickholtz on the All My Foreparents blog. Israel reports on his experiences at GRIP, IAJGS, speaking and visiting around the USA.
* Blogs as Genealogical Sources by Tony Proctor on the Parallax View blog. Excellent idea, Tony.
* The Ultimate Genealogical Birthday by Geoff Rasmussen on the Legacy News blog. Geoff celebrated his 30th birthday for the 11th time, and it was the best yet. [Just wait until the kids are graduated from college and out of the house.]
* Hangouts Going Away? No Worries For Us by Pat Richley-Erickson on the DearMYRTLE Genealogy Blog. Myrt and Russ are on top of this.
* Gordon Atkinson and Newspapers.com – #BYUFHGC and Crista Cowan and Searching on Ancestry.com – #BYUFHGC by the writer of The Ancestry Insider blog. Mr. AI provides presentation summaries from the recent BYU Conference.
* My Top Ten Genealogy Gateways by Pauleen Cass on the Family History Across the Seas blog. Pauleen offers a Down Under take on her top ten genealogy sites.
* How Do I Know What I Don’t Know? (Part 2: Genealogy Conferences) by Jenny Lanctot on The In-Depth Genealogist blog. Jenny continues her series.
* Top Ten Genealogy Websites by Judy G. Russell on The Legal Genealogist blog. Judy's list highlights genealogy and law websites she uses.
* Avoiding Distractions in Our Genealogy by Amy Johnson Crow on the Amy Johnson Crow blog. Excellent advice here - should I change from chasing BSOs all the time?
* Top 10 Genealogy Resources by Michail Hait on the Planting the Seeds blog. Michael focused his list on foundational works.
* My Top 10 Genealogy Resources by Mary Perkinson Nelson on the Celebrating Family Stories blog. Mary shares her top ten resources.
* My Favorite 10 Sites (Or Is It?) by David Samuelsen on the SAMPUBCO blog. David provides his list.
Here are pick posts by other geneabloggers this week:
* Favorite Reads of the Week: 15 August 2016 by Nicole Dyer on the Family Locket blog.
* Friday Fossicking 19th August, 2016 by Crissouli on That Moment in Time blog.
* Recommended Reads by Linda Stufflebean on the Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog.
* Friday Favorites for August 19, 2016 by Heather Kuhn Roelker on the Leaves for Trees blog.
* Follow Friday - Seven Days of Genealogy Blogs by Melissa on Jessica and Gracie's Tree blog.
* Friday Finds for 19 August 2016 by Nichelle Barra on the Copper Leaf Genealogy blog.
* This Week's Creme de la Creme -- August 20, 2016 by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog.
* Weekly Genealogy Picks and Calendar by John Newmark on the TransylvanianDutch blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1590 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2016/08/best-of-genea-blogs-14-to-20-august-2016.html
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at email@example.com.