My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* On the List Twice by Judy G. Russell on The Legal Genealogist blog. Judy discusses good, doubtful and desperate debts in an inventory.
* Genealogy 101: #7 Home Sources by Gena Philibert-Ortega on the GenealogyBank Blog. Gena continues her "Introduction to Genealogy" series with home sources.
* Missing Friends Database 1831-1921 Online by Lorine McGinnis Schultz on the Olive Tree Genealogy Blog. If you have Irtish immigrants to New England, this may be a tremendous resource.
* Where Does Newspaper Research Fit Into Your Genealogy? by Geoff Rasmussen on the Legacy News blog. I totally agree with Geoff.
* Salt Lake Visit and Update on FHL Construction by Linda Stufflebean on the Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog. Linda spent a week at the Family History Library and has an excellent photo essay here.
* Lifetime Achievement Awards for Bennett Greenspan and Max Blankfeld by Roberta J. Estes on the DNAeXplained -- Genetic Genealogy blog. Roberta wrote a wonderful tribute to Bennett and Max along with a lot of genetic genealogy history.
* Column -- Destroyed by Yvette Hoitink on the Dutch Genealogy blog. Yvette has a great idea to archive her work.
* How to Get Your Genealogy Questions Answered by Amy Johnson Crow on the Amy Johnson Crow blog. This takes some practice...
* Who knew . . . but is it true? (December 17, 2016) : The Mayflower; Benjamin Church; King Phillip's War; Anawan Rock; and Me?? by John D. Tew on the Filiopietism Prism blog. It looksl ike it is true for Mr. Tew.
* The DNA Era of Genealogy by Blaine Bettinger on The Genetic Genealogist blog. An interesting discussion about evidence and proof relative to DNA test results.
Here are pick posts by other geneabloggers this week:
* Friday Fossicking 16th December, 2016 by Crissouli on the That Moment in Time blog.
* GAGs - GeniAus' Gems - 16 December 2016 by Jill Ball on the GeniAus blog.
* Recommended Reads by Linda Stufflebean on the Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog.
* Friday Finds 16 Dec 2016 by Nichelle Barra on the Copper Leaf Genealogy blog.
* Favorite Reads of the Week: 17 December 2016 by Nicole Dyer on the Family Locket blog.
* This Week's Creme de la Creme -- December 17, 2016 by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1600 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2016/12/best-of-genea-blogs-week-of-11-to-17.html
Copyright (c) 2016, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.