Previous posts in this series include:
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 1: Navigation
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 2: Editing Person Data
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 3: Adding a Child to the Family
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 4A: Creating a Pedigree Chart
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 4B: Creating a Pedigree Chart
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 5: Creating a Family Group Sheet
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 6: Creating a Narrative Ancestors Report
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 7: Creating a Narrative Descendants Report
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 8: Creating a Wall Chart
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 9: Creating a Timeline Chart
* Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 10: Creating a Box Chart
In this post, I'm going to create a Relationship Chart for myself to my cousin Roma in England. In the "Family" View with myself highlighted, I clicked on the "Report" menu item and highlighted the "Charts" option, and then the "Relationship Chart" item:
I clicked on "Relationship Chart" and the "Report Settings" box opened with me as the "First Person." The usual buttons are present - Reset, Layout, fonts and Box Style, and some check boxes:
I wanted to use my cousin, Roma Alexander who lives in England, as the second person, so I clicked the "Second Person" button, and the "RootsMagic Explorer" menu opened. I scrolled down to cousin Roma's entry. I could have started typing "Alexander" and found her entry also. I highlighted Roma and her family information appeared:
I clicked on the Select button and was back to the "Report Settings" menu. I wanted to increase the font size for the text on the charts, so I clicked on the "Fonts" button and increased the font size. There is no option here for text color, which I would really like to have!
I clicked OK and was back to the "Report Settings" menu. I wanted to change the Box Style, so I clicked on the "Box Style" button and the "Border Styles" menu opened. I made the corners round, the box line and shadow red, and the background light green:
I clicked on the OK button, and was back to the "Report Settings" menu. I added a Title to the "Title" box and clicked on the "Generate Report" button.
There are two portrait pages (I could have chosen Landscape in the "Layout" menu) for this Relationship Chart - here they are:
The chart tells me that Roma and I are fourth cousins - the common ancestors are Thomas and Ann (Marshman) Richman of Hilperton, Wiltshire, England.
I really like this chart. It is easy to create, modify, save and/or print.
What would I add? Line weight and color to the lines between boxes; color options for the box text; color and font options for the title; full birth, marriage and death information options in the text; ability to put it all on one page. I know - it's easy to complain and suggest! It's pretty good as it is - I want it better!
The fifth choice in the Reports>Charts menu is "Photo Tree." I don't have any photos loaded in RootsMagic yet, so I cannot show this in a post.
I'll start going thorugh the Reports>Lists options in the next post.