My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for the genealogy carnivals, or other meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* A Day with Roger Thompson by Heather Wilkinson Rojo on the Nutfield Genealogy blog. It was five lectures by an English expert on American colonial life. Wish I had been there.
* "Finding Your Roots, with Henry Louis Gates, Jr." - DNA in the Sixth Episode by CeCe Moore on the Your Genetic Genealogist blog. I saw this episode, and knew that CeCe would have something to say about all of it.
* Using Your iPad to Write Your Family History by Carolyn L. Barkley on the GenealogyAndFamilyHistory.com blog. Carolyn provides a nice summary of iPad capabilities.
* Smart Grenealogy Software vs. Dumb Genealogy Software by Louis Kessler on Louis Kessler's Behold Blog. Louis is trying to advance the genealogy software ball - these are good thoughts.
* WDYTYA - 3x06 - Helen Hunt -the Nitpicker's Version by Banai Feldstein on the Ginger Jewish Genealogist blog. Banai provides the usual excellent summary of this episode.
* #1940Census Who Has the Best Images by the writer of The Ancestry Insider blog. Mr. AI compares image quality, image size, compression, etc. of the 1940 Census.
* Four Brick-Wall Breakers by Dawn Watson on the Digging in the Roots blog. Dawn offers excellent suggestions to solve thorny research problems.
Several genea-bloggers wrote weekly pick posts and news summary posts this week, including:
* Fab Finds For you - 22 April 2012 by Lisa Frank on the 1 Ancestry 2 Little Time blog.
* Monday Morning Mentions by Lynn Palermo on The Armchair Genealogist blog.
* Monday Recap for April 23, 2012 by Amanda on the Geni Blog.
* Ruth's Recommendations by Ruth Blair on The Passionate Genealogist blog.
* Genealogy Round Up, April 26 by Megan Smolenyak on Megan Smolenyak's Roots World blog.
* Genealogy News Corral. April 23-27 by Diane Haddad on The Genealogy Insider blog.
* 1940 Census Top Posts - Week of April 23 by Brittany Warnock on the 1940 Census blog.
* Friday Finds - 04/27/12 by Julie Cahill Tarr on the GenBlog blog.
I encourage readers to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Google Reader, RSS feed or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1200 genealogy bloggers using Google Reader, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2012/04/best-of-genea-blogs-22-to-28-april-2012.html