I have written about my recent experiences in FamilySearch Family Tree, in these posts:
* Checking Out "My Source Box" on FamilySearch.org (29 May 2012)
* Using RootsMagic 5 to Add to the FamilySearch Family Tree (27 April 2012)
* My First Look at FamilySearch Family Tree - Post 2: Source Citations (27 March 2012)
* My First Look at FamilySearch Family Tree - Post 1 (22 March 2012)
In the first listed post above, I added some FamilySearch documents to the "My Source Box" feature, created a "Folder" for Isaac Seaver in "My Source Box" and added some of the captured sources to Isaac Seaver's Folder. I did not "Attach" those source items to Isaac Seaver, however, leaving that for another time.
The time has come. I've searched for FamilySearch records for several of my ancestors, and have practiced adding the source records to "My Source Box," creating more folders for those ancestors, adding the source records to those folders, and now attaching the source records to the correct person.
There are some steps in this process that HAVE TO BE followed, and I'll try to highlight them in this post.
I'm going to use my grandmother, Alma Bessie (Richmond) Seaver (1882-1962), for this exercise. For males, the searcher needs to do only one search because their surname doesn't change. For females, the searcher needs to search in FamilySearch records for all of the female's last names used in their lifetime, since FamilySearch's record search engine does not "know" what names a female might have used. I used "Alma Bessie Richmond" and got one source record (1900 Census) and "Alma Bessie Seaver" and for one source record (1930 Census), and clicked on the "My Source Box" link and "Add to My Source Box" on the Record Search results. So those two records should be in "My Source Box" when I go to it in the FamilySearch Family Tree.
1) On the FamilySearch Family Tree pedigree chart, I highlighted Alma Bessie Richmond:
2) I clicked on the "View Person" link for Alma Bessie Richmond and saw her information, previously added by me using RootsMagic 5 (two screens - the second one is the bottom of the page):
3) Near the bottom of the page, there is a link for "Go to My Source Box" so I clicked on it. My Source Box opened, and I added a Folder for "Alma Bessie Richmond (1882-1962)." Before I added anything to this folder, it is empty:
4) Here is "My Source Box" at the present time in my account. "My Source Box" lists ALL sources that have been captured from FamilySearch source records, and wants you to put them in Folders. There are two sources that are not in a Folder (the ones I just captured for Alma Bessie Richmond Seaver):
5) In order to add a Source record in "My Source Box" to a Folder in "My Source Box," the researcher drags the specific Source to the Folder and drops it there (in Windows, left-mouse click held down to drag and released to drop it). In the screen below, I have dragged and dropped the first source record but not the second:
6) After dragging and dropping the second source record to Alma Bessie Richmond's Folder, I clicked on the Folder to see if they are there:
8) I did the same process for the second source record, and the Folder for Alma Bessie Richmond shows that both are attached (they show a paper-clip icon):
9) The researcher can click on one or all of the sources in the Folder and see more information about them:
That is a fairly cumbersome process. I wonder if the genealogy software will make this easier for source citations in the database and the images attached to the Fact and/or source citation. I hope so!
The major warning I have is this: The user must start the Source record Attach process from the Person's Page - in my example above, from Alma Bessie Richmond's page. The name of the Person shows up when you click on the "Attach" link - if it is not the right person, the user has to go to the Person, click on the "My Source Box" link, open the Folder for the Person, and then Attach the Source to the correct Person. I found no way around this!
Note also that the "My Source Box" seems to be ONLY for FamilySearch Historical Records - what about records from another Source? And images from other sources? I'll be looking into this in future posts.
I need to check out if I can do a "Disconnect Person from Parents" function yet. The FamilySearch Family Tree has Isaac Seaver attached to two sets of parents (one of them is correct) and I want to disconnect him from the wrong set of parents. Even though I have written up a Discussion for this, no one has discussed it with me).
A caveat: I think that I'm doing this Source record to My source box to Folder to Attach to Person process correctly. If not, I hope that someone from FamilySearch will correct me on it!
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2012/07/attaching-sources-to-persons-in.html
Copyright (c) 2012, Randall J. Seaver