Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!):
1) Go into your Genealogy Management Program (GMP; either software on your computer, or an online family tree) and figure out how to Count how many surnames you have in your family tree database.
2) Tell us which GMP you're using and how you did this task.
3) Tell us how many surnames are in your database and, if possible, which Surname has the most entries. If this excites you, tell us which surnames are in the top 5! Or 10!
4) Write about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, in a status or comment on Facebook, or in Google Plus Stream post.
NOTE: If you can't figure out how to do this in your GMP (Genealogy Management Program), use the Help button and search for "count persons" then follow directions.
I'm going to use RootsMagic 6 because that's where I'm doing my current additions, deletions and editing and is my most up-to-date collection. In RootsMagic 6, go to Reports, then Lists and scroll down to "Surname Statistics List." I then chose "Frequency of Surnames" from the list presented.
That took about 20 seconds and I have a 150 page list! I didn't count every one of them - there are 149 pages with 39 names per page, plus the last page has 13. That's a grand total of 5,824 surnames in my database with 41,533 persons. The top 10 are, with birth date ranges:
* SEAVER - 4,360 persons, from 1608 to 2011
* BUCK - 680 persons, from 1585 to 1965* SMITH - 644 persons, from 1526 to 2005* FITZ RANDOLPH - 483 persons, from 1565 to 1884
* VAUX - 465 persons, from 1620 to 2006
* DILL - 421 persons, from 1645 to 1993
* RICHMAN - 320 persons, from 1622 to 1985
* NEWTON - 317 persons, from 1690 to 1997
* CHAMPLIN - 302 persons, from 1618 to 1903
* CULVER - 270 persons from 1650 to 1981
I have 141 Mary's without a surname, and 127 Elizabeth's without a surname, and 307 persons without any name at all (there's a blank line for this one!).
Of course, if I added up all the persons without a surname, my LNU's are probably the biggest group on the list.
I didn't see a way to get a count on first names - can anyone figure this out in RootsMagic 6, or in another program?
The URL for this post is:
Copyright (c) 2013, Randall J. Seaver