My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* Genealogy Hacked: Who's Who in TN Project by Thomas MacEntee on the Hack Genealogy blog. Thomas interviews Taneya Koonce about this crowd-sourcing indexing and transcription project.
* Know Your Sources by Michael Leclerc on the Mocavo Genealogy Blog. Michael describes how different editions of sources can vary, and in the process provides an excellent description of one of the foundational New England sources, Torrey's Marriages to 1700.
* A Place for Everything by Tony Proctor on the Parallax View blog. Tony discusses the historical place names issue. Excellent graphic too!
* What Are the Genealogical Myths? by James Tanner on the Genealogy's Star blog. James addresses seven persistent myths - are any of them true?
* Dear Mother: Family Letters and Your Genealogy by Gena Philibert-Ortega on the GenealogyBank blog. Gena emphasizes that not all family letters are found in family papers.
* Guest Post: What Getting a Credential Meant To Me by Dee Dee King on Harold Henderson's Midwestern Microhistory blog. Dee Dee describes her path to certification and the rewards of achieving it.
* Genealogy Bloggers: What Keeps Us Going? by Heather Kuhn Roelker on the Leaves For Trees blog. Heather provides her answers- great insight here.
* People Timelines by Michele Simmons Lewis on Ancestoring's Ask A Genealogist blog. Michele demonstrates how timelines can be used to show events in a person's lifetime.
* The Father's Waltz by Stepper McCrery on the Family Storytelling blog. I remember...thanks, Stepper!
* A Higher Level of Learning by Darcie Hind Posz on Angela McGhee's Adventures in Genealogy Education. Darcie shares her education journey, and especially her 2013 SLIG course.
These genea-bloggers wrote weekly pick posts and news summary posts this week:
* Follow Friday - Favorites for August 23, 2013 by Heather Kuhn Roelker on the Leaves For Trees blog.
* News and Stories for Genealogists, August 23, 2013 by Michael Leclerc on the Mocavo genealogy Blog.
* Follow Friday - Fab Finds for August 23, 2013 by Jana Last on Jana's Genealogy and Family History Blog.
* Saturday Serendipity (August 24, 2013) by John D. Tew on the Filiopietism Prism blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1400 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2013/08/best-of-genea-blogs-18-to-24-august-2013.html
Copyright(c) 2012, Randall J. Seaver