* their daughter #33 Abigail Gates (1797-1867) who married #32 Benjamin Seaver (1791-1825), in 1817.
* their son, #16 Isaac Seaver (1823-1901), who married #17 Lucretia Townsend Smith (1828-1884) in 1852.
1) PERSON (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Name: Abigail Knowlton1–4
* Alternate Name: Abigail Gates7–8
* Sex: Female
* Father: Jeremiah Knowlton (1745-1785)
* Mother: Abigail Peirce (1750-1776)
2) INDIVIDUAL EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Birth: 21 January 1774, Lincoln, Middlesex, Massachusetts, United States[1,5]
* Miscellaneous: 1791–1813 (about age 17–about 39), Gardner, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
* Census: 1 June 1850 (age 76), Westminster, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
* Death: 28 January 1855 (age 81), of old age and palsy; Gardner, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
3) SHARED EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Spouse 1: Nathan Gates (1767-1830)
* Marriage Intentions: 7 May 1790 (age 16), Gardner, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
* Marriage: 17 June 1790 (age 16), Westminster, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States[3-4]
* Child 1: Nathan Gates (1791-1865)
* Child 2: Jeremiah Gates (1792-1801)
* Child 3: Abel Gates (1793-1870)
* Child 4: Asaph Gates (1794-1859)
* Child 5: Luke Gates (1796-1796)
* Child 6: Abigail Gates (1797-1867)
* Child 7: Luther Gates (1798-1847)
* Child 8: Amos Gates (1799-1883)
* Child 9: Susannah Gates (1801-1881)
* Child 10: female Gates (1803-1803)
* Child 11: Lucinda Gates (1805-1835)
* Child 12: Clarissa Gates (1806-1868)
* Child 13: Jeremiah Knowlton Gates (1808-1845)
* Child 14: James Eliot Gates (1810-1875)
* Child 15: Benjamin Adderson Gates (1813-1850)
4) NOTES (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
The Lincoln, Massachusetts town record book lists the birth of Abigail Knowlton:
"Abigail Knowlton daughter of Jeremiah Knowlton & Abigail Knowlton his wife was born the 21 day of January 1774."
The Lincoln, Massachusetts vital records book lists the birth of Abigail Knowlton:
"KNOWLTON, Abigal, d. Jeremiah and Abigail, Jan. 21, 1774"
Her mother died in 1776. Jeremiah was a Revolutionary War soldier, and married Hannah Goffe on 9 September 1778 in Lincoln. He died in 1785 in Lincoln.
Abigail's residence after the death of her mother is unknown - she may have been given a guardian (although I have found no record of one), or went to live with a relative of one of her parents.
The next record available is the intentions to marry in Gardner, Worcester County, Massachusetts on 9 May 1790:
"Nathan Gates of Gardner and Abigail Knowlton of Westminster wear Entered May 9th 1790."
The marriage to Nathan Gates occurred in Westminster on 17 June 1790.[3-4] The Westminster, Massachusetts Vital Record book lists the marriage as:
"GATES, Nathan and Abigail Knowlton, June 17, 1790."
The Gardner town records provide this information about the Nathan and Abigail [Knowlton] Gates family:
"Nathan Gates and Abagail his wife Record of their children:
Nathan Born April 13^th 1791
Jeremiah Born March 21^st 1792
Abel Born July 10^th 1793
Asaph Born Dec^m 7^th 1794
Luke Born Feb^u 14^th 1796
Abigail Born Feb 24^th 1797
Luther Born April 5^th 1798
Amos Born No^v 6^th 1799
Susanna was born Feb^r 17- 1801
an infant girl born Feb^r 8^th 1803
Lucinda Born March 9^th 1805
Clarissa Born May 25-d 1806
Jeremiah Knolton Born Sept 28- 1808
James Eliot Born June 11- 1810
Benj Adderson born Feb^r 26- 1813
Luke Died May 21^st 1796
an infant girl Died Feb^r 12^th 1803 "
In the 1850 U.S. census, the Asaph Gates household resided in Westminster, Worcester County, Massachusetts. The household included:
* Asaph Gates - age 55, male, a farmer, $600 in real property, born Massachusetts
* Rachael Gates - age 56, female, born Massachusetts
* Abigail Gates - age 78, female, born Massachusetts
* Harriet Gates - age 16, female, born Massachusetts.
The transcription of the death record for Abigail (Knowlton) Gates in the Massachusetts vital records is:
Date of Death: Jany 28th 1855
Name and Surname: Abigail Gates
Age, Years, Months, Days: 83 - 1 - 7
Place of Death: Gardner
Disease or Cause of Death: Old Age & Palsy
Sex and Condition: Widow
Place of birth: Chelmsford
Name Parents: Widow of Nathan Gates"
The age at death from this record calculates to 21 January 1772, which conflicts with the birth record in Lincoln of 21 January 1774.
The most conclusive evidence that Abigail (Knowlton) Gates was the daughter of Jeremiah and Abigail (Pierce) Knowlton, born on 21 January 1774 in Lincoln, is that calculated birth date at death - 21 January. Apparently, Abigail married at age 16, and claimed 1772 as a birth year for all of her married life.
The burial location of Abigail (Knowlton) Gates has not been found to date.
There are no probate records for Abigail (Knowlton) Gates in the Worcester County Probate Court records.
. Massachusetts, Town and Vital Records, 1620-1988, digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com), "Lincoln Births, Marriages and Deaths," page 97 (penned) (image 226 of 1092), Abigail Knowlton entry.
. Massachusetts, Town Records, 1620-1988, digital images, Ancestry.com, "Gardner, Publishments," page 2 (image 2 of 45), Nathan Gates and Abigial Knowlton intentions.
. Massachusetts, Town Records, 1620-1988, digital images, Ancestry.com, "Westminster, Court Records, with Births, Marriages and Deaths," page 282 (penned, image 146 of 177), Nathan Gates and Abigail Knolton entry.
. Systematic History Fund, Vital Records of Westminster, Massachusetts, to the End of the Year 1849 (Worcester, Mass.: F.P. Rice, 1908), Marriages, page 142: Nathan Gates and Abigail Knowlton entry.
. Vital Records of Lincoln, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850 (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1908).
. Massachusetts, Town Records, 1620-1988, digital images, Ancestry.com, "Gardner Births, Marriages and Deaths," page 33 (stamped, image 26 of 779), Births and deaths of children of Nathan and Abigail Gates.
. 1850 United States Federal Census, Worcester County, Massachusetts, Westminster, Page 62B, Dwelling #243, Family #294, Asaph Gates household; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com), citing National Archives Microfilm Publication M432, Roll 340.
. "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841-1915," indexed database and digital images, New England Historic Genealogical Society, American Ancestors (http://www.AmericanAncestors.org), Deaths: Volume 95, Page 117, Westminster, 1855; Abigail Gates entry.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/02/52-ancestors-in-52-weeks-week-60-67.html
Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver