Sibel Kirby (1764-1848) is #89 on my Ahnentafel list, my 4th great-grandmother, married in 1786 to Humphrey White (1757-1814).
I am descended through:
* their son, #44 Jonathan White (1805-1850) who married #45 Miranda Wade (1804-1850) in about 1823.
* their son, #22 Henry Arnold White (1824-1885) who married #23 Amy Frances Oatley (1826-1864) in 1848.
1) PERSON (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Birth Name: Sibel Kirby[1–3]
* Alternate Name: Sibbel Kirby[8,10]
* Alternate Name: Sybel Kirby
* Alternate Name: Sibel White[5–8]
* Sex: Female
* Father: David Kirby (1740-1832)
* Mother: Martha Soule (1743-1828)
2) INDIVIDUAL EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Birth: 8 January 1764, Dartmouth, Bristol, Massachusetts, United States
* Distribution: 12 February 1814 (age 50), husband's estate administered; Glocester, Providence, Rhode Island, United States
* Census: 1 June 1820 (age 56), Glocester, Providence, Rhode Island, United States
* Census: 1 June 1830 (age 66), Glocester, Providence, Rhode Island, United States
* Distribution : 1 May 1832 (age 68), father bequeathed $200; Westport, Bristol, Massachusetts, United States
* Death: before 11 March 1848 (before age 84), estate administered; Glocester, Providence, Rhode Island, United States
* Probate: 11 March 1848 (age 84), estate administered; Glocester, Providence, Rhode Island, USA; Glocester, Providence, Rhode Island, United States
* Burial: about 11 March 1848 (about age 84), Acotes Hill Cemetery, Glocester, Providence, Rhode Island, United States
2) SHARED EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Spouse 1 Name: Humphrey White (1757-1814)
* Marriage 1: 11 February 1786 (age 22), intentions; Dartmouth, Bristol, Massachusetts, United States[3,10,11]
* Child 1: Meribah White (1787- )
* Child 2: Benjamin White (1789-1863)
* Child 3: David White (1793-1859)
* Child 4: Elizabeth White (1795-1841)
* Child 5: Humphrey White (1797- )
* Child 6: Martha White (1797-1841)
* Child 7: Nancy White (1797- )
* Child 8: Rhoda White (1800-1862)
* Child 9: Jonathan White (1805-1850)
* Child 10: William White (1807-1866)
4) NOTES (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
The biography and family information for Humphrey White is included in the article by Ruth Wilder Sherman, "Some Descendants of Jonathan White of Dartmouth MA and of Humphrey White of Glocester RI," The American Genealogist, Volume 56, Pages 113-118.
Another compiled genealogy, in Representative Men and Old Families of Rhode Island, Volume III (Chicago, Ill. : J.H. Beers Co., 1908), provides more information about the family.
The Dartmouth, Massachusetts town record and vital record book notes the birth of Sybil Kirby to David and Martha (Soule) Kirby as:
"[Kirby] Sybel, d. of David & Martha 8 Jany 1764"
Sibel Kirby married Humphrey White on 11 February 1786. The Dartmouth, Massachusetts town record book has this marriage entry:[10,11]
"[Kirby] Sibbel and Humphry White both of Dartmouth, Feb. 11, 1786"
Humphrey and Sibel (Kirby) White had ten children born between 1787 and 1807, the first three in Dartmouth and then in Glocester.[2-3] At least five of the ten married and outlived their mother.
After her husband, Humphrey White died on 15 January 1814, Sibel White and her son Benjamin White were appointed as administrators on the estate on 14 March 1814. No distribution of the estate was included in the probate record. Sibyl probably received one third of the personal estate of her husband.
Sibel was appointed guardian of her four minor children of lawful age on 12 February 1814 by the Probate Court. The record says:
"Do by these presents, in the name of the State of Rhode Island & Providence Plantations, and by virtue of the law in said state, Empowering the Courts of Probate to appoint Guardians, when the Court thinks proper, over certain persons and their Estates, and we now think it proper, for the benefit of Rhoda White, Jonathan White, William White and Nancy White, all of said Glocester under lawfull age, and children of Humphrey White late of Glocester deceased.
"Therefore, we the said Court of Probate have, and do hereby appoint you Sibel White of said Glocester, and you are hereby appointed a proper and lawfull Guardian, over the persons and Estate of the said Rhoda, Jonathan, William and Nancy, with full power to do everything that is right and just according to Law, relating the duty of a Guardian respecting the aforesaid premises."
In the 1820 U.S. Census, Sibel White was a head of household in Glocester, Providence County, Rhode Island. The household included:
* one female aged 16 to 26 (probably daughter Martha White)
* one female over age 45 (Sibel White)
Sibyl's son, Benjamin White, was listed just above Sibel White, and Sibyl's daughter, Meribah Hutchinson, was listed just below her.
In the 1830 U.S. Census, Sibel Kirby was a head of household in Glocester, Providence County, Rhode Island. The household included:
* one male aged 20 to 29 (probably son William White)
* one female aged 20 to 29 (probably William's wife Drusilla)
* one female aged 60 to 69 (Sibel White)
When her father, David Kirby of Dartmouth (1740-1832) died testate, his will bequeathed to his daughter:
"3d. I give to my daughter Sibbel White, Two hundred silver dollars to be paid her in one year after my decease, by my executor herein after named, which with what she has already had of me, is to be her share of my estate."
Sibyl (Kirby) White died before 11 March 1848, when administration on her estate was opened. She probably died in Glocester, Rhode Island.
The inscription on the gravestone for Sibel in Acotes Hill Cemetery in Glocester, Rhode Island says:
Sibel White died intestate, and the Glocester Court of Probate appointed her son, William White of Glocester, as administrator of her estate on 11 March 1848.
An inventory of the personal estate of Sibel White, late of Glocester deceased, was taken by Leonard R. Williams, David Arnold and Nelson Wade on 24 March 1848. The personal inventory was apprised at $307.00.
On 17 December 1848, the commissioners reported that a meeting of the creditors of the estate of Sibel White met at Captain William White's house for the purpose of receiving and examining their claims. The claims made were by the three commissioners, and amounted to $4.50.
The account of William White was received, allowed and recorded on 14 April 1849. The account totalled $254.75 spent, with $318.94 received, including $153 for property sold at auction, a note from Jonathan White for $39.96, and notes from Allen Potter and James Cooke.
No distribution of the estate of Sibel White was found in the probate records for Glocester RI.
1. Jim Tipton, indexed database, Find A Grave (http://www.findagrave.com), Acotes Hill Cemetery, Glocester, R.I., Sibel Kerby White Memorial #80231225.
2. Representative Men and Old Families of Rhode Island, Volume III (Chicago, Ill. : J.H. Beers Co., 1908), page 2229, Humphrey White sketch.
3. Ruth Wilder Sherman, "Some Descendants of Jonathan White of Dartmouth MA and of Humphrey White of Glocester RI," The American Genealogist, Volume 56, Number 2 (April 1981), Pages 113-118, page 115, Humphrey White sketch.
4. Massachusetts, Town and Vital Records, 1620-1988, digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com), "Dartmouth Births, Marriages and Deaths," Page 83 (image 45 of 2331), Sybil Kirby entry.
5. "Probate Records, 1731-1915 (Glocester, Rhode Island)", FHL Microfilm US/CAN 941,848, Volume 3, pages 360-366, 395, Humphrey White estate.
6. 1820 United States Federal Census, Population Schedule, Providence County, Rhode Island, Glocester town, page 79, Sibel White household, digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com); citing National Archives Microfilm Publication M33, Roll 117.
7. 1830 United States Federal Census, Population Schedule, Providence County, Rhode Island, Glocester town, page 297, Sibil White household, digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com); citing National Archives Microfilm Publication M19, Roll 168.
8. "Probate Records, 1687-1916; Index, 1687-1926" Bristol County, Massachusetts, Probate Court Records, on 199 FHL US/CAN Microfilm rolls; original records at Probate Registry, Taunton, Mass., Will of David Kirby of Westport, Volume 71, Page 102, accessed on FHL Microfilm 0,462,659.
9. "Probate Records, 1731-1915 (Glocester, Rhode Island)", Volume 5, pages 90, 269, 277, 287, Sibel White estate papers, accessed on FHL microfilm US/CAN 941,849.
10. Massachusetts, Town Records, 1620-1988, digital images, Ancestry.com, "Dartmouth Births, Marriages, Deaths," no page number (image 184 of 2331), Sibbel Kirby and Humphrey White entry.
11. Vital records of Dartmouth, Massachusetts, to the year 1850 ( Boston, Mass. : New England Historic Genealogical Society,1929-1930), Volume 2, Marriages, page 537, Humphry White and Sibbel Kerby.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/05/52-ancestors-in-52-weeks-week-74-89.html
Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.