Mary (Dafoe) Kemp (1776-before 1832) is #121 on my Ahnentafel list, my 4th great-grandmother, who married #120 John Kemp (1768-1861) in 1795.
I am descended through:
* their son, #60 Abraham Kemp (1795-1881 who married #61 Sarah Sephrona Fletcher (1802-before 1861) in 1818,
* their son, #30 James Abraham Kemp (1831-1902) who married #31 Mary Jane Sovereen (1844-1874) in 1861.
* their daughter, Gerogianna Kemp (1868-1952) who married #14 Charles Auble (1849-1916) in 1898.
* their daughter #7 Emily Kemp Auble (1899-1977) who married #6 Lyle Lawrence Carringer in 1918.
* their daughter, #3 Betty Virginia Carringer (1919-2002), who married #2 Frederick Walton Seaver (1911-1983) in 1942.
1) PERSON (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Name: Mary Dafoe[1–2]
* Alternate Name: Mary Kemp
* Sex: Female
* Father: Abraham Dafoe (1755-1815)
* Mother: Katreen "Catharina" (1755-1792)
* Birth: about 1776, Vermont, United States
* Death: before November 1832 (before about age 56), probably Cramahe, Northumberland, Ontario, Canada
* Spouse 1: John Kemp (1768-1861)
* Marriage 1: 26 January 1795 (about age 20), Fredericksburgh, Lennox and Addington, Ontario, Canada[1–2]
* Child 1: Abraham Kemp (1795-1881)
* Child 2: Nancy Anna Kemp (1797-1874)
* Child 3: John Cook Kemp (1800-1887)
* Child 4: Jacob Kemp (1802-1887)
* Child 5: George Kemp (1806- )
* Child 6: Elizabeth Kemp (1806- )
* Child 7: James A. Kemp (1807-1891)
* Child 8: Lucy Kemp (1809- )
* Child 9: Mary Kemp (1812-1912)
4) NOTES (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
Most of the information about John Kemp and his family was obtained from Cheryl Kemp Taber and can be seen on her Rootsweb WorldConnect database (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=cdn-kemp).
Mary Dafoe was born in Vermont in about 1776, the daughter of Abraham and Katreen (--?--) Dafoe. The Dafoes were loyalists, and migrated to Ontario in the early 1780s. Mary's family was in Fredericksburgh in Lennox and Addington County in the 1790s.
The marriage record of John Kemp and Mary Dafoe has this information:
"John Kemp, Fredericksburgh, bachelor, and Mary Defoe, same place, spinster, January 26, 1795
John Finkle, Jacop Finkle, Andrew Rikley, Margaret Huffman"
Mary Dafoe, alias Kemp, daughter of Abraham Dafoe (Sergeant of King's Rangers) of Fredericksburgh, petitioned, as a United Empire Loyalist, for 200 acres of land in Upper Canada on 8 July 1797, which was confirmed on 24 July 1797 and a warrant was issued on 4 August 1797.
Mary Kemp was granted a patent for 200 acres by the Crown in Huntingdon township, Hastings County, Ontario in Concession 6, Lot 4, on 17 May 1802.
John and Mary (Dafoe) Kemp had nine children between 1795 and 1812, and all of them were baptized in the Fredericksburgh church.
There is no record for the death or burial of Mary Dafoe. Her last child was born in 1812. She was not recorded with her husband in the 1851 Census for Canada West. Her husband, John Kemp, and eldest son, Abraham Kemp, sold the Huntingdon township lot to Henry Finkle on 13 November 1832. She probably died previous to November 1832.
1. Cheryl Kemp Taber, "Kemps and Kin," online database, Rootsweb WorldConnect Project (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=cdn-kemp).
2. William Briggs, Ontario Historical Society Papers and Records (Toronto, Canada : Ontario Historical Society, 1899), page 68, John Kemp and Mary Dafoe marriage entry.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/11/52-ancestors-in-52-weeks-week-99-121.html
Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Or contact me by email at email@example.com.