* their daughter #79 Martha Phillips (1757-after 1820) who married #78 Isaac Buck (1757-1846) in 1780.
1) PERSON (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Name: John Phillips[1–9]
* Sex: Male
* Father: Ebenezer Phillips (1695-1746)
* Mother: Mary Smith (1698-1746)
2) INDIVIDUAL EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Birth: 11 September 1722, Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States[1–2]
* Deed: 25 September 1752 (age 30) , Southborough, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
* Deed: 6 March 1758 (age 35), Shrewsbury, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
* Census: 1 June 1790 (age 67), Sterling, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
* Death: before 1800 (before about age 78), probably Sterling, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
3) SHARED EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Spouse 1: Hannah Brown (1725-1774)
* Marriage: 3 May 1749 (age 26), Southborough, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States[3–4]
* Child 1: Sarah Phillips (1750- )
* Child 2: Jonathan Phillips (1752-1826)
* Child 3: Joanna Phillips (1755- )
* Child 4: Martha "Patty" Phillips (1757-1820)
* Child 5: Elizabeth Phillips (1764- )
* Spouse 2: Mary Richards (1733- )
* Marriage: 3 June 1774 (age 51), Southborough, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States[7–8]
4) NOTES (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
John Phillips was the third child and second son of Ebenezer and Mary (Smith) Phillips of Charlestown, Mass. The birth record of John Phillips in the Charlestown town record book says:
"John, son of Ebenezer and Mary Phillips born
Septem^r 11^th 1722"
John Phillips married Hannah Brown in Southborough, Mass. on 3 May 1749. The town record says:
"John Phillips & Hannah Brown married May the 3rd day 1749"
Their first two children were born in Southborough in 1750 and 1752, and their last three children were born in Shrewsbury in Worcester County, Massachusetts between 1755 and 1764.
John Phillips, husbandman of Southborough, sold land in Southborough to Peter Brewer, husbandman of Southborough, for 74 pounds, 13 shillings and 4 pence on 25 September 1752. The land was two parcels in Southborough; one piece contained Eight Acres and a half and fifteen Rods of meadow and upland, and the second parcel was two acres of Meadow. The deed was recorded on 29 October 1765.
John Phillips, Husbandman of Shrewsbury, sold land in Shrewsbury to Daniel Bixby, for 3 pounds, 6 shillings and 8 pence on 6 March 1758. The land was a parcel in Shrewsbury containing four and a quarter acres. The deed was recorded on 23 March 1762. Hannah Phillips signed the deed on 20 December 1758.
Hannah (Brown) Phillips probably died after 1764 (when her last child was born) and before 1774 (when John married again), perhaps in Shrewsbury or Southborough.
John Phillips married, secondly, to Mary Richards of Southborough in 1774. The Southborough town record book says:
"John Phillips & Mary Richards married June 3 1774"
Mary Richards had one son, named Isaac Buck, born out of wedlock in 1757 in Southborough. Her son, Isaac Buck, married Martha Phillips, daughter of John and Hannah (Brown) Phillips, in 1780 in Lancaster.
John and Mary (Richards) Phillips probably resided in Lancaster until the town of Sterling, Massachusetts was set off from Lancaster in 1780. There are no land records in Worcester County showing John Phillips buying land in Shrewsbury, Lancaster or Sterling.
In the 1790 US Census, John Phillips is a head of household in Sterling, Massachusetts with one male over age 16 and three females.
There are no known death records or gravestones for John and Mary (Richards) Phillips in Lancaster or Sterling, Massachusetts. They probably died between 1790 and 1800.
There are no probate records for John Phillips, Hannah (Brown) Phillips or Mary (Richards) Phillips in the Middlesex County or Worcester County, Massachusetts probate indexes.
1. Massachusetts, Town and Vital Records, 1620-1988, digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com), "Charlestown, Archives Births Marriages Deaths, 1629-1800," page 191 (penned), image 155 of 385, John Phillips birth entry, 1722.
2. Roger D. Joslyn, Vital Records of Charlestown, Massachusetts to 1850 (Boston, Mass. : New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1984), 3 Volumes, Births, page 278, John Phillips entry, 1722.
3. Massachusetts, Town Records, 1620-1988, digital images, Ancestry.com, "Southborough Births, Marriages and Deaths," Page 49, on Image 103, John Phillips and Hannah Brown marriage entry.
4. Systematic Historic Fund, Vital Records of Southborough, Massachusetts to the end of the Year 1849 (Worcester, Mass.: Franklin P. Rice, 1903), Marriages, page 135, John Phillips and Hannah Brown entry, 1749.
5. "Massachusetts, Land Records, 1620-1986," digital images, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org), Worcester County, "Deeds 1765-66, Vol. 53-54," image 242 0f 682, in Volume 53, Page 433, John Phillips to Peter Brewer, deed in Southborough, Mass., 1754.
6. "Massachusetts, Land Records, 1620-1986," digital images, FamilySearch, Worcester County, "Deeds 1761-63, Vol. 45-46," image 274 of 612, in Volume 45, Page 500, John Phillips to Daniel Bixby, deed for one tract of land in Shrewsbury, Mass., dated 20 December 1758.
7. Massachusetts, Town Records, 1620-1988, digital images, Ancestry.com, "Southborough Births, Marriages and Deaths," image 123 of 1007, page 83, John Phillips and Mary Richards marriage entry.
8. Systematic Historic Fund, Vital Records of Southborough, Massachusetts to the end of the Year 1849, Marriages, page 135, John Phillips and Mary Richards entry, 1774.
9. 1790 United States Federal Census,, Worcester County, Massachusetts, Sterling town; Page 551, John Phillips household; digital image, Ancestry.com (www.ancestry.com), citing National Archives Microfilm Publication M637, Roll 4.