Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Get Grandpa's FBI File

My Chula Vista Library friend, Kim, passed this along from BoingBoing.

You can order an FBI file using a Freedom of Information Act request. This site - http://www.getgrandpasfbifile.com/form.php - lets you fill in a form, then writes a letter for you to send (using your stamp) to obtain the file (assuming there is one!).

The site notes that:

"Most requests end up not costing anything because the FBI will give you the first hundred pages of any file for free. However, pages beyond 100 are charged at ten cents per page, and the FBI requires you to state up front that you will pay these copying charges or they won't process your request. The good news is that you can put a cap on the maximum amount you're willing to pay. We suggest $30 as a good amount. "

This sounds like a really great thing to do if you have a relative or ancestor who was a criminal, a spy, a radical, a gambler, etc. I can think of at least two CVGS members who should do this immediately!

Thanks, Kim, for the lead!

No comments: