Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Visiting Liverpool in 2012: Post 462 of (Not So) Wordless Wednesday

Linda and I enjoyed the Legacy Family Cruise in May 2012 from Oslo to Le Havre to Cherbourg to Dublin to Liverpool to Edinburgh and back to Oslo.  I took some photos with my camera (not cell phone), and summarized the day as below:

If it's Thursday (Day 8, 17 May 2012), it must be Liverpool!  The ship crossed the Irish Sea from Dublin to Liverpool overnight.

We were up early, had breakfast and were ready to go on our tour before the ship docked at Liverpool at 7 a.m. We met in the Masquerade Lounge at 7:45 a.m. and got our sticker for the Liverpool and the Beatles tour that departed at 8:15 a.m. We had to walk a bit down the gangplank, up to the street and over to the bus parking lot. We boarded the bus with about 25 others – our guide was Hilary and our driver was Phil.

The first stop on the tour was at Mathew Street, where the Cavern club is located. There are a number of tributes to the Beatles along the street. We did not go into the Cavern club. Back on the bus for a short trip to The Beatles Story museum. We spent over an hour here, and it had the complete history of each member of the group, and of the group itself, with headphones to tell us what we were seeing. Beatles songs blared throughout. We bought T-shirts in the shop.

Back on the bus, we drove around Liverpool seeing sights, and stopped at Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, and the childhood homes of John and Paul. 

Then it was back to the ship at 12 noon. We missed seeing the Queen, whose motorcade came along the road by the pier, but others in the group did.  We watched it later on the telly.

Back aboard the ship, we had lunch, and Linda headed off to the Solarium to swim. I read my book for awhile, then walked Deck 10, and stopped to play shuffleboard with Luc and Geoff again. I played poorly with no wind on the deck. I went to get Linda more Benadryl ($5 for 10 tablets) at the medical center, then went to the room and watched BBC news and dozed for a bit. I went to get Linda at 5:15 p.m., and we headed off to dinner at 6 p.m. in the Aquarius dining room. Edvin told his life story, and gave me a special chocolate dessert. We went back to the room and Linda went to bed, while I finished my book and watched TV.

In the evening, the ship departed Liverpool heading up and over Scotland to dock in Edinburgh on Day 10.


The URL for this post is:

Copyright (c) 2017, Randall J. Seaver

Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post.  Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below.  Or contact me by email at

No comments: