Friday, April 28, 2006
My music faves 1960 to 1964
Continuing with my list of rock and pop music from my youth...today we'll deal with 1960 to 1964.
1960 to 1963 saw Elvis back from the Army, more country crossover songs, the emergence of the "girl groups," and surf music. The pop music world got a jolt in 1964 with the Beatles and the British invasion that followed. Naturally, I liked all of the above, plus more.
My four favorites by year are:
* Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? - Shirelles
* It's Now or Never - Elvis Presley
* Wild One - bobby Rydell
* El Paso - Marty Robbins
* I Love How You Love Me - Paris sisters
* Runaway - Del Shannon
* This Is Dedicated to the One I Love - Shirelles
* Blue Moon - Marcels
* Do You Love Me? -- Contours
* Breaking Up Is Hard to Do - Neil Sedaka
* Sherry - Four Seasons
* The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Tokens
* Heat Wave - Martha and Vandellas
* Surf City - Jan and Dean
* Surfin' USA - Beach Boys
* If You Wanna Be Happy - Jimmy Soul
* She Loves You - Beatles
* Glad All Over - Dave Clark Five
* You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling - Righteous Brothers
* Where Did Our Love Go? - Supremes
I'll do 1965 to 1969 sometime next week, and maybe even my own Top 20 of all time.
As you can see, I pretty much like high energy pop and mellow dreamy ballads.
What songs did you like from these years? Does anyone have links to the songs themselves - to play them, not download them?