Maria Dorothea Dinkel (1748-1835) is #101 on my Ahnentafel list, my 4th great-grandmother, who married #100 Rudolf Spengler (1738-1811) in 1767.
I am descended through:
* their son, #50 Daniel Spangler (1781-1851), who married #51 Elizabeth King (1796-1863) in 1815.
* their daughter, #25 Rebecca Spangler (1832-1901) who married #24 David Jackson Carringer (1828-1902), in 1852.
* their son, #12 Henry Austin Carringer (1853-1946), who married #13 Abbie Ardell "Della" Smith (1862-1944) in 1887.
* their son, #6 Lyle Lawrence Carringer (1891-1976), who married #7 Emily Kemp Auble (1899-1977) in 1918.
* their daughter, #3 Betty Virginia Carringer (1919-2002), who married #2 Frederick Walton Seaver (1911-1983) in 1942.
1) PERSON (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Name: Maria Dorothea Dinkel
* Alternate Name: Dorothea Spangler[3,4]
* Sex: Female
* Father: Johann Daniel Dinkel (1713-1755)
* Mother: Maria Ursula Von Ernest (1713-1793)
2) INDIVIDUAL EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Birth: 1748, Strasbourg, Alsace, France
* Death: 12 June 1835 (about age 87), York, York, Pennsylvania, United States[1–3]
* Burial: after 12 June 1835 (after about age 87), Prospect Hill Cemetery, York, York, Pennsylvania, United States
* Probate: 24 June 1835 (about age 87), will proved; York, York, Maine, United States
3) SHARED EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Spouse 1: Rudolf Spengler (1738-1811)
* Marriage 1: 1 January 1767 (about age 19), York, York, Pennsylvania, United States[1-2]
* Child 1: Gen. John Jacob Spengler (1767-1843)
* Child 2: Maria Catherine Spengler (1770-1824)
* Child 3: Elizabeth Spengler (1773-1844)
* Child 4: Margaret "Recky" Spengler (1773-1852)
* Child 5: Jesse Spengler (1775-1860)
* Child 6: Johannes Spengler (1777- )
* Child 7: Anna Maria Spengler (1779-1841)
* Child 8: Daniel Spangler (1781-1851)
* Child 9: Mary Margaret Spengler (1783-1841)
* Child 10: Peter Spengler (1786-1823)
* Child 11: Helen Dorothea Spengler (1789-1842)
4) NOTES (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
Maria Dorothea Dunckel was born in about 1748, probably in Strasbourg, Alsace, France, the daughter of Johann Daniel Dunckel and Maria Ursula Von Ernest. The family emigrated to Pennsylvania in about 1758.
Maria Dorothea Dinkel married Rudolf Spengler on 1 January 1767 in York, York County, Pennsylvania[1-2]. They had eleven children between 1767 and 1789.
A sketch of the left profile of Dorothea Spengler was done in about 1815, and was in the Spangler book.
The York [PA] Gazette newspaper of June 18, 1835 contains the obituary of Dorothea Spangler:
"In memory of Dorothea Spangler, relict of Rudolf Spangler, deceased, who died June 12, at the advanced age of 87 years. How few they that arrive at that period of life, blessed with a happy temperament of mind. She led the life of a pure and upright Christian. Relatives and friends revere and cherish her memory."
The gravestone of Dorothea Spangler is in Prospect Hill Cemetery in York, York County, Pennsylvania. The inscription says:
Died Aug. 5 1811
Died June 12, 1835
Dorothea Spangler wrote a very short last will and testament in 1834 in German and it is in the York County, Pennsylvania probate record book. I haven't found a translation of this record to date.
On 24 June 1835, Charles Nes and Jacob A. Fischer affirmed under oath that the will of Dorothea Spangler, written in German, was in her handwriting and her signature.
1. Samuel Small, Jr., Genealogical Records of George Small, Philip Albright, Johann Daniel Dunckel, William Geddes Latimer, Thomas Bartow, John Reid, Daniel Denezet, Jean Crommelin, Joel Richardson (Philadelphia, Pa.: J.B. Lippincott Company, 1905), page 134, Maria Dorothea Dinkel sketch.
2. Edward W. Spangler, The Annals of the Families of Caspar, Henry, Baltzer and George Spengler Who Settled in York County Respectively in 1729, 1732, 1732 and 1751, with Biographical and Historical Sketches, and Memorabilia of Contemporaneous Local Events (York, Penn. : n.p., 1896), page 181, Rudolf Spengler sketch.
3. Jim Tipton, indexed database, Find A Grave (http://www.findagrave.com), Prospect Hill Cemetery, York, Penn., Dorthea Spangler memorial #73467755.
4. "Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994," digital images, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org), York County, “Wills, 1833-1846, Vol. R-S," will of Dorothea Spangler, 1834, in Volume R, pages 208-209 (images 116 and 117 of 528).
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/08/52-ancestors-in-52-weeks-week-85-101.html
Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.