Welcome to my genealogy blog. Genea-Musings features genealogy research tips and techniques, genealogy news items and commentary, genealogy humor, San Diego genealogy society news, family history research and some family history stories from the keyboard of Randy Seaver (of Chula Vista CA), who thinks that Genealogy Research Is really FUN!
Copyright (c) Randall J. Seaver, 2006-2017.
1) PERSON (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Name: Jerusha --?--
* Alternate Name: Jerusha Medcalf[1-2]
* Sex: Female
2) INDIVIDUAL EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Birth: about 1750probably New Hampshire, United States
* Deed: 29 August 1798 (about age 48), Piermont, Grafton, New Hampshire, United States
* Death: 9 June 1817 (about age 67), Piermont, Grafton, New Hampshire, United States
* Burial: after 9 June 1817 (after about age 67), River Road Cemetery, Bradford, Grafton, New Hampshire, United States
3) SHARED EVENTS (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
* Spouse 1: Capt. Burgess Metcalf (1741-1816)
* Marriage: before 1770 (before about age 20), probably Keene, Cheshire, New Hampshire, United States
* Child 1: Ephraim Metcalf (1770-1858)
* Child 2: Samuel Metcalf (1771- )
* Child 3: Burgess Metcalf (1772-1831)
* Child 4: Sally Metcalf (1774- )
* Child 5: Cyrus Metcalf (1776-1843)
* Child 6: Meletiah Metcalf (1779-1838)
* Child 7: Mary "Polly" Metcalf (1780-1855)
* Child 8: Joseph Metcalf (1781-1796)
* Child 9: Jerusha Metcalf (1789-1864)
* Child 10: Chandler Metcalf (1798-1842)
4) NOTES (with source citations as indicated in brackets):
Jerusha (--?--) Metcalf's parents, her birth date and birth place, and her marriage date and place are unknown. Some researchers claim that her maiden name was Chandler, although, apparently, there are no records for that claim, which may come from the given name of one of her sons.
She was born in about 1750, since her gravestone says she was age 66 at death in June 1817.
Jerusha --?-- married Burgess Metcalf (1741-1816) before 1770, probably in Keene, Cheshire County, New Hampshire. She came with her family to Piermont, Grafton County, New Hampshire in about 1773. They had ten children between 1770 and 1798, and the last 7 were born in Piermont. There is a Piermont town record for only the tenth child, Chandler Metcalf.
There is a Grafton County deed for a lease from Burgess Metcalf Jr. to Burgess Metcalf, Sr. in which Jeruisha Medcalf's name is mentioned. In the lease, Burgess Sr. and Jerusha Medcalf leased a houselot in Piermont for the sum of $500 for the rest of their lives. This is the only mention of Jerusha's name in a record found to date.
Jerusha Metcalf died 9 June 1817, according to the Find A Grave memorial. She is buried in River Road Cemetery in Bradford, New Hampshire with her husband, Burgess Metcalf. The inscription on her gravestone says:
In memory of
Who died June
9, 1817 age 66
There are no probate records in Grafton County, New Hampshire for either Burgess or Jerusha Metcalf.
1. Jim Tipton, indexed database, Find A Grave (http://www.findagrave.com), River Road Cemetery, Bradford, N.H., Jerusha Chandler Medcalf (1750-1817) memorial #58660922.
2. Grafton County (N.H) Register of Deeds, "Land Records, 1773-1902; Indexes to Land Records, 1773-1900," Family History Library (Salt Lake city, Utah), Volume 55, Page 327, Burgess Medcalf Jr. to Burgess Medcalf Sr., dated 1798, recorded 1812, accessed on FHL US/CAN Microfilm 0,015,822.
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.