My criteria for "Best of ..." are pretty simple - I pick posts that advance knowledge about genealogy and family history, address current genealogy issues, provide personal family history, are funny or are poignant. I don't list posts destined for daily blog prompts or meme submissions (but I do include summaries of them), or my own posts.
Here are my picks for great reads from the genealogy blogs for this past week:
* Let's Make FamilySearch's Family Tree Better for Everyone and So What Are the Pros? by Michele Simmons Lewis on the Ancestoring blog. Thoughts on the pros and cons of the FSFT from Michele.
* 2016 Top Posts: DNA and 2016 Top Posts: Overall and 2016 Top Posts: All Time by Judy G. Russell on The Legal Genealogist blog. Everything Judy writes is great - here are her picks for the year.
* Top 10 Posts of 2016 by Melissa Finlay on The Finlay Family blog. Some good reading here.
* Top 10 Genealogy Tips: A Year-End Wrap-Up by Amy Johnson Crow on the Amy Johnson Crow blog. Amy lists her top 10 tips for 2016. An excellent list!
* What is a Genetic Genealogist? by Blaine Bettinger on The Genetic Genealogist blog. Blaine says "... DNA alone cannot prove anything." Agree?
* 2016 My Genealogy Year in Review by Christine Woodcock on the Scottish Genealogy Tips Tricks and Tidbits blog. Christine reviews her year.
* The Archives Lady: Preserving Grandma's Quilt by Melissa Barker on the Geneabloggers blog. Melissa discusses how to do this.
* FamilySearch 2016 Genealogical Highlights on the FamilySearch News blog. This post provides up-to-date statistics and news about the website.
* Your Top 15 Online Genealogical Collections in 2016 by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog. Gail's list is her most popular blog posts for 2016.
* Hints to Get Your Needed Records During the Upcoming Year by Lori Samuelson on the Genealogy At Heart blog. Lori identifies the best times to request research from repositories.
* 2016: The Year in Review by Scott C. Steward on the Vita Brevis blog. Scott highlights twelve excellent posts.
* Those Fleeting Final Moments of the Year by Jacqi Stevens on the A Family Tapestry blog. Jacqi tried to sync her FTM files with her Ancestry trees and had some problems. Fixed?
* A Look Back Before Moving forward 2016 by Michelle Ganus Taggart on the A Southern Sleuth blog. Michelle reviews her genealogy year.
* 10 Inspiring Genealogists From 2016 by Alona Tester on the Lonetester HQ blog. Alona picks her faves - an excellent list.
* Moving On From 2016 to 2017 by Chris Paton on The GENES Blog. Chris has been busy this past year.
* Closing the Curtains on 2016! My Year in Review by Lisa Alzo on The Accidental Genealogist blog. Lisa was busy in 2016 doing things she chose to do. Well done.
* 2016 Genetic Genealogy Perspective by Roberta J. Estes on the DNAeXplained -- Genetic Genealogy blog. This is a major review of the DNA testing and analysis companies and their products, plus education opportunities. Excellent!
Here are pick posts by other geneabloggers this week:
* Friday Fossicking.. 30th Dec. 2016 by Crissouli on the That Moment In Time blog.
* Recommended Reads by Linda Stufflebean on the Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog.
* Friday Finds 30 Dec 2016 by Nichelle Barra on the Copper Leaf Genealogy blog.
* Favorite Reads of the Week: 31 December 2016 by Nicole Dyer on the Family Locket blog.
* This Week's Creme de la Creme -- December 31, 2016 by Gail Dever on the Genealogy a la Carte blog.
* Saturday Serendipity (December 31, 2016) by John D. Tew on the Filiopietism Prism blog.
Readers are encouraged to go to the blogs listed above and read their articles, and add their blogs to your Favorites, Feedly, another RSS feed, or email if you like what you read. Please make a comment to them also - all bloggers appreciate feedback on what they write.
Did I miss a great genealogy blog post? Tell me! I am currently reading posts from over 1600 genealogy bloggers using Feedly, but I still miss quite a few it seems.
Read past Best of the Genea-Blogs posts here.
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2017/01/best-of-genea-blogs-25-to-31-december.html
Copyright (c) 2017, Randall J. Seaver
Please comment on this post on the website by clicking the URL above and then the "Comments" link at the bottom of each post. Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Pinterest using the icons below. Or contact me by email at email@example.com.