For this post, I uploaded a GEDCOM of the same FTM 16 file into Family Tree Maker 2009. Here is the summary of the file statistics:
The file statistics given say:
* 38,420 individuals
* 15,121 families
* 120,931 records
* 1,466 sources
* 0 media items
The file took 4 minutes and 49 seconds to upload according to FTM 2009.
The FTM 2009 file size is 82.468 mb for the database, and the 0 media items are not included.
There are some interesting differences between the uploading of the native FTM 16 file and the GEDCOM file:
* The number of "records" for the native upload is 55,013 records, while for the GEDCOM upload it is 120,931. That is a big difference. I wonder why this happens? What are the added records? Are Records = Facts?
* The number of sources is slightly different - 1,472 vs. 1,466. Are these master sources, or source citations? I can't tell.
* The native upload for media items was 11, but was 0 for the GEDCOM upload. This is typical - a GEDCOM file won't upload media files, at least from FTM 16 to some other program.
* The time to upload the file was much shorter for the GEDCOM upload than the native file upload - about 16% of the native file time. I did not expect that large a difference.
* The FTM 2009 file size for the GEDCOM upload was lsightly smaller than for the native upload. I wonder why? Fewer sources? Fewer links to media items?
I hope someone who is working with FTM 2009 can explain these differences!
In the next post, we'll look at the FTM 16 to Legacy Family Tree 7 upload statistics.