* My Relationships to United States Presidents - Post 1: 39 to 44 (posted 2 October 2014),
* My Relationships to U.S. Presidents - Post 2: Presidents 34-38 (posted 13 November 2014),
* My Relationships to U.S. Presidents - Post 3: Presidents 28-33 (posted 16 January 2015),
* My Relationships to U.S. Presidents - Post 4: Presidents 22-27 (posted 16 March 2015).
* My Relationships to U.S. Presidents - Post 5: Presidents 16-21 (posted 26 June 2015)
* My Relationships to U.S. Presidents - Post 6: Presidents 11-15 (posted 7 August 2015)
Here are the next five going back in time:
1) John Tyler (10th President of the United States) is my 4th cousin 6 times removed's husband's nephew's wife's father, according to Geni.com.
Well, it looks like John Tyler and I do not share any known ancestors.
2) William Henry Harrison (9th President of the United States) is my 6th cousin 8 times removed according to Geni.com:
The common ancestors are listed as Richard Croxton Carter (1490-1558) and Joan Richard Hyll, in 16th century England. The link given is through my 8th great-grandmother Elizabeth Titus (1652-1714), supposed wife of John Garnsey (1648-1722) of Rehoboth, Massachusetts. However, I have no documentation indicating that the wife of this John Garnsey is this Elizabeth Titus - she is Elizabeth LNU in my database. Therefore, I doubt that I am related to William Henry Harrison.
3) Martin Van Buren (8th President of the United States) is my 13th cousin 4 times removed according to Geni.com:
The common ancestors are listed as Pierre I de Luxembourg and Margherita del Balzo from the early 15th century. However, my line goes through Thomas Flagg (1621-1698) of Watertown, Massachusetts. I trust the Familysearch Community Trees more than the Geni World Family Tree for royal and noble connections, and Thomas Flagg is not listed in the "British Isles, Families with Peerage, Gentry, and colonial american Connections" tree. I doubt that I am related to Martin Van Buren through the connection shown on Geni.com.
4) Andrew Jackson (7th President of the United States) is my 6th cousin 7 times removed according to Geni.com:
The common ancestors listed by Geni.com are Henry Sacheverell II and Jane Ireton of them id-16th century. My line back to this couple on Geni.com goes through Thomas Hazard (1610-1677) of Portsmouth, Rhode Island. I don't have information about his parents or grandparents, but Geni.com lists them. The FamilySearch Community Tree noted above does not include Thomas Hazard (1610-1677). I doubt that I am related to Andrew Jackson through the line provided by Geni.com.
5) John Quincy Adams (6th President of the United States) is my 6th cousin 6 times removed according to Geni.com:
The common ancestors listed by Geni.com are the unknown father and mother of Mayflower passenger William White (1590?-1621). Again, I have no information about that couple, nor does Geni.com! However, I am descended from 10th great-grandparents Henry Adams (1583-1646) and Edith Squire (1587-1673) of Braintree and Medfield, Massachusetts. They are also John Quincy Adams 4th great-grandparents. So I am the 4th cousin 7 times removed to John Quincy Adams through that connection.
6) I did not check the records for each relationship shown in the charts above from Geni.com. I am confident that my lines back to the immigrant ancestors from England are correct, but I have no idea how accurate the lines are from the immigrants back to some of the common ancestors to the Presidents. Some are well researched, and have entries in the book by Gary Boyd Roberts, Ancestors of American Presidents (1989).
The URL for this post is: http://www.geneamusings.com/2015/10/my-relationships-to-us-presidents-post.html
Copyright (c) 2015, Randall J. Seaver